Handsets, Buttsets....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAK

LarryFine said:
We had that here until about two years ago. It was 211. Now we just use the caller-ID on the cellphone to do the same thing.
I use the cellphone for caller-ID but have run into a bunch of times where I had no signal (working in caves:rolleyes: ) and a caller ID number would have been handy to have.

ultramegabob

Update...

Update...

I won a TS-19 on ebay for $20.00, it should do the trick for now, im sure if I need to upgrade later, I can get my money back for it, or just give it to my helper...

wshoard

mdshunk said:
In Embarq areas, it's 311+2 digit month+2 digit year. They don't always update the code every month, so you need to type it in for some of the past months if it doesn't work. This feature is called ANI, I believe. Automatic Number Identification. Caller ID can be blocked. ANI always works.

We do a lot of DSL work and the number we use is: 101073217709889664

It has worked for me all over AL, FL, GA, and MS. The good thing is this number works even if the line has toll restrictions on it where you can't call your Cell if you're from out of the area!

mdshunk

wshoard said:
We do a lot of DSL work and the number we use is: 101073217709889664
That's an old ANAC number. It should work pretty much anywhere, since it's a 10-10 number, unless 10-10 numbers are blocked. There's another similar one that will give you a minute or so of 1000 hertz tone followed by a couple minutes of quiet termination. I can't remember it at the moment.

toleary

i've had a kraft set for twenty five years and it still works.
I had to fix it a few times but i am not kind to my tools.
i also have a thing from leviton that eats batteries, and sometimes works.
the buttset looks professional, tells you tip and ring, let's you call home, let's you mon without going off hook.
use a meter and a princess if you want, but I prefer my but.

L

Lxnxjxhx

comments on these troubleshooting specs and methods?

comments on these troubleshooting specs and methods?

Looking into the phone line with on-hook phone, you should see a 48 to 58vdc, the equivalent of four lead acid batteries in series being charged.

Off hook, and assuming 48vdc, the series resistance of the line should be approx. 470 ohms to 3200 ohms, depending on how far you are from the central station, with a loop current of 14mA to 70 mA, giving an off-hook line voltage of 3-15vdc.

There's Tip (red wire, -) and there's Ring (green wire, +).

The ringing signal is 35 to 120vrms at 16 to 60 Hz. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringer_equivalence_number

Currently, when it rains my phone gets static and goes dead. Since it's intermittent, unplugging the Network Interface Device gives me confusing results, plus I get to get rained on along with my plug-in phone and VOM. The off-hook line voltage goes to 0.8v.
After disconnecting the telco I ran the house phones on a 50vdc supply in series with a 600 ohm resistor, and this said the house phones work.
It all works now, probably due to a far-uptream repair that the telco made, but they're supposed to come in a few days to check my house.

I haven't tried it yet, but putting a 10 ohm resistor in series with the line and, off-hook, measuring the voltage across the resistor will tell me the current.
Therefore, from the inside of the house and from the current specs above, I will know if this 0.8v is due to the downstream house phones loading down a good line, or the upstream line being shorted out by moisture.

cadpoint

OK here's you chance, that company is for sale !

http://www.sandman.com/

Going out of business sale !

The price of the handset didn't change from last week (as I recall)

But hey if thats your deal you need to make that one ! ;)

Thanks for all the phone numbers ...

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
while we are in the "phone business"..
I have seen a "punch down" block where one has 4 incoming lines and the option of punching down approximately 10 phone lines to each incoming..
sorta like a "prejumped" 66 block.. but I fail to find such item at any site I check..suggestions

cadpoint

I've seen some new smaller punch down boards in the Organge box 12- 16 something about $25.00, not that I hang out there or anything ...

mdshunk

augie47 said:
while we are in the "phone business"..
I have seen a "punch down" block where one has 4 incoming lines and the option of punching down approximately 10 phone lines to each incoming..
sorta like a "prejumped" 66 block.. but I fail to find such item at any site I check..suggestions
I've used those, and I think I got mine from Mike Sandman, but I see they sell the identical one at Lowe's or Home Depot now.

Status
Not open for further replies.