hanging lights on 6-32s

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a situation on a 1st floor where because of the double layer ceiling on top of some track built off the joists for noise reduction it was more practical to go with 4 squares and deep plaster rings for certain light locations. Well the p rings came in as single gang w/6-32 screw holes. I'm of the opinion that these are no good for hanging lights and we should reorder round p rings, but am having a problem coming up with the article for that. 314.27(a) only says the box shall be designed so a luminaire can be attached. that's a bit vague. I thought sure you needed 8-32s for supporting fixtures with the box. Can someone point me in the right direction here?

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
How much do the fixtures weigh ? It may not be an issue.
If you are set on 8/32s you could tap then out from 6/32 with a box tap it takes very little time.

fixtures aren't on site yet, but I doubt they're going to weigh very much. I've just got it stuck in my head that you needed 8-32 for fixtures but can't find it in the code. I could be wrong, its happened before.

celtic

acrwc10 said:
How much do the fixtures weigh ? It may not be an issue.
If you are set on 8/32s you could tap then out from 6/32 with a box tap it takes very little time.

Any 110.3(B) concerns there?

JES2727

paul said:
314.27 A & B covers it.
Yes it does, but I'm still wondering if the installation is compliant. Is a single gang plaster ring "designed for the purpose" of supporting luminaires? Or is it designed for wiring devices only? Doesn't the exception to 314.27 (A) imply that plaster rings and #6 screws are not acceptable for ceiling mounted fixtures?

captaincrab55

JES2727 said:
Yes it does, but I'm still wondering if the installation is compliant. Is a single gang plaster ring "designed for the purpose" of supporting luminaires? Or is it designed for wiring devices only? Doesn't the exception to 314.27 (A) imply that plaster rings and #6 screws are not acceptable for ceiling mounted fixtures?
Never had a problem with it passing inspection. In fact my 4th year Instructor / day time Inspector actually taught it as a "fix"....

tkb

I would tap it out to 8-32.
A plaster ring with a round opening has 8-32 holes, but is the same gauge steel as the single gang plaser ring.
So tapping out a 6-32 to an 8-32 should make no difference to the strength of the support.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Check the brackets.

Check the brackets.

Don't forget that many brackets that fixtures are mounted to have only 6/32 mounting posts from said bracket to the fixture. You could assUme that 6/32s should be okay.

Having said that, I might change my mind as each fixture (condition) presents itself.

220/221

Just hang it.

@ 235# I could hang from a couple 6/32's as well as 8/32's.

Try it some time. Use a claw hammer and try to yank out a SINGLE 6/32 by pulling straight down.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
But I do.

But I do.

electricmanscott said:
I don't think this is true.

Yeah, the universal brackets that have a flat back "bar" with a 6/32 pivot screw and a 6/32 set screw and a flat front "bar" with two 2 x 6/32 facing out to which the fixtures trim nuts secure the fixture against the wall or ceiling.

POWER_PIG

Hang it

Hang it

I agree with 220/221
Just hang it.
Most times your better judgement will be NEC complaint

Status
Not open for further replies.