Hantavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vod-Vil

If you ever encounter a situation where you discover mice infestation,STOP!!! Before you proceed with the work,know that an infected mouse can kill you within days.

I've been doing electrical work for over ten years,and up until a few weeks ago,had never heard of the dangers of dealing with these rodents.When I would open up some switchgear that mice had been living in,I always grabbed a shop vac to clean it out.

DO NOT USE A VACUUM TO CLEAN THE AREA
DO NOT SWEEP THE AREA

There is a procedure for cleaning these areas,that needs to be followed to avoid contracting the virus.

The information in the link below will be helpful and should be included in your company's safety program.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hanta/hps/noframes/FAQ.htm

dmagyar

I guess ignorance is bliss

I guess ignorance is bliss

I don't want to seem blase about this, but if this was more widespread we'd all be taking a dirt nap. When I'm in an attic I'm always wearing a P100 face mask, but there are times under a house when I don't. In most attic's it's hard not to run across rodent dropings and under a house how would you even see the evidence mixed in with the dirt and debris.

P.S. we're not charging enough to subject ourselves to that kind of danger, stray electrons are hard enough to avoid.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
Don't forget to add Histoplasmosis to the list of things to worry about (bat/bird droppings).

In the immortal words of Glum - "We're all gonna die!!!"

Mark

mxslick

Good advice, but be aware that the CDC states that the virus is viable for only 2-3 days in most cases, less time that that if exposed to sunlight. But it is viable longer in freezing temperatures.

So take precautions, I agree with the no-sweep, no-vacuum idea, but in any event wear gloves and a face mask when encountering rodent droppings and nests.

I deal with it annually at the Ren Fest site I work at every spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.