Hard Time Understanding 110.14 C

payneeco

4691 Northwest Parkway Hilliard Ohio 43026
Occupation
Trade School Teacher
Using Mike Holt Understanding the NEC Volume 1 to Study for Electrical Exam. Here is the question: What is the minimum size secondary conductor required for a single phase 1.5 KVA 480 to 120 V transformer that is protected with a 5A fuse on the primary. I understand the solution until it gets to step 4 and they use 60 degrees c to size wire on table 310.16. This gets me a lot because I don't fully understand 110.14 (C)(1) ....which unfortunately is referenced a lot in a broad range of questions. Can someone help me understand when to use 60 C versus 75 C versus 90 C. I'm looking for ways to master just this one small thing. I'm thinking it would go a long way on the exam if I just fully understood this one thing. 1728489094648.png

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If the device at either end of the conductor such as a breaker or receptacle is rated 60 deg then you are limited to the 60 deg ampacity of the conductor. For example if you are using a THWN conductor rated 40 amps at 90 deg and 20 amps at 60 deg you would be limited to the 20 amp rating if the termination was dated 60 deg

Last edited: