Hard-wired smoke alarms - NEC reference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff48356

I can't find anything in the NEC about hard-wired smoke alarms. I realize that they need to be installed in every bedroom, in the hallway just outside the bedrooms, and one on each floor (including the basement), and they all need to sound simultaneously when one sounds. Where exactly would that be found in the NEC book?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The location requirement is a Building Code issue. The NEC only covers the installation of the wiring to the specified locations.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I can't find anything in the NEC about hard-wired smoke alarms. I realize that they need to be installed in every bedroom, in the hallway just outside the bedrooms, and one on each floor (including the basement), and they all need to sound simultaneously when one sounds. Where exactly would that be found in the NEC book?

Do you not have to carbon detectors also?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Our Building Official states that under our IRC (2012, I think) CO detectors are required with fuel fired appliances AND with attached garages.

jumper

Our Building Official states that under our IRC (2012, I think) CO detectors are required with fuel fired appliances AND with attached garages.

Yep, forgot about the garage.

R315.1 Carbon monoxide alarms.
For new construction, an approved carbon monoxide alarm shall be installed outside of each separate sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of the bedrooms in dwelling units within which fuel-fired appliances are installed and in dwelling units that have attached garages.

R315.3 Where required in existing dwellings.
Where work requiring a permit occurs in existing dwellings that have attached garages or in existing dwellings within which fuel-fired appliances exist, carbon monoxide alarms shall be provided in accordance with Section R315.1.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Check NFPA 72 for the details. In chapter 11 of the 2007 edition, IIRC.

Hendrix

I would go with a heat detector in the garage, as CO detectors would seem to cause quite a bit of false tripping.

mwm1752

Local admendments require CO detectors on every level as a min & if the bedroom has a fuel burning appliance the a CO is required inside the room -- The combo smoke/CO interconnected alarm for 120v is an easy path.

Status
Not open for further replies.