Hard wiring LED Ribbon Under Cabinet Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

T74

I have some under cabinet lights that are flexible LED linear ribbon. There are 4 sections and there is a remote 12vdc transformer.

I'll probably install the transformer in the basement and run wire to each cabinet section from there.

I'm wondering what other people have used for wiring method for this kind of situation. I have some stranded low voltage #10 but it seems too big for the connectors.

The manufacturer site didn't seem too helpful...

T74

Wiring Method of LED Ribbon

Wiring Method of LED Ribbon

What are people using for a wiring method for under cabinet LED Linear Ribbon Lights?

This situation will be 4 section of lights with a remote 12vdc transformer in the basement. Each cabinet light section will have a wire down to the transformer.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
IMO, you need a class 2 wiring method as most of those drivers are class 2. I use a 12/2 class 2 cable. Of course, 12/2 is a bit larger than needed but I have a bunch of it.

2 conductor thermostat wire.

2 conductor thermostat wire.

That's what I always use. I do that for 12V and 24V ribbon lights. As long as the runs aren't crazy far and the transformer is properly sized I haven't had issues with voltage drop.

gar

Occupation
EE
170413-2341 EDT

T74:

Think about your question.

How much current is required for each strip you plan to power?
How much voltage drop can you tolerate, possibly 1 V?

For the above current calculate total wire resistance. This is for two times the distance from the power supply to the LED strip. Calculate resistance per foot, multiply by 1000 and look in the wire tables for the smallest wire size. Use something larger. Also consider wire current rating.

T74

I have a class 2 transformer so my understanding is that I can use CL-2 wire for runs in a wall? That might seem obvious but I've never used CL-2 wire so I'm just checking.

blkmagik21

I have some under cabinet lights that are flexible LED linear ribbon. There are 4 sections and there is a remote 12vdc transformer.

I'll probably install the transformer in the basement and run wire to each cabinet section from there.

I'm wondering what other people have used for wiring method for this kind of situation. I have some stranded low voltage #10 but it seems too big for the connectors.

The manufacturer site didn't seem too helpful...

22-4 it works for the color changing and if not you just parallel the wires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blkmagik21

Stranded cl2 22-4 to be exact. It's very inexpensive and normally used for security pre wiring.

But, if you are going to put the transformer that far away, I'd run 16-2 cl2 stranded speaker wire from the transformer to a junction box behind the range or fridge and then run 22-4 or 22-2 from there to avoid voltage drop.

Fnewman

Occupation
Sr. Electrical Engineering Manager at Larson Engineering
If the cabinets don't go all the way to the ceiling you can put the transformer on top and fish the lv wires behind the cabinets because there is almost always some gaps at the corners or between cabinets.

Status
Not open for further replies.