hard wiring still allowed for gd and dw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryB

A friend is telling me you can't wire the garbage disposal with a wall switch and a piece of romex (neatly run and secured) in the cabinet under the sink. He says you need an outlet and a cord or protection for the cable, or mc cable (which is still subject to physical damage). I don't see the code saying that, although I've heard of some towns doing that. 422.16 doesn't require a cord but says it "shall be permitted"). Comments

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Unless it's interpreted to be subject to physical damage then you can use NM, I would use a cord. Hard wired DW's will require a disconnect or breaker lockout.

Adamjamma

I have seen stoves and garbage disposals both hardwired and plug wired. But I have never, so far, run across a dishwasher hard wired. Not sure I would like to, either.
Luckily, most of the dishwashers and garbage disposals I have put in have plugs on them already. Just wondering though, do they make fuses in the USA like we use on some switches over here? My dishwasher here is on a DP fused switch... so I can pull the switch fuse out and it is locked off until I replace the fuse... even though I still install my lockout on the breaker...

MAC702

...do they make fuses in the USA like we use on some switches over here? My dishwasher here is on a DP fused switch... so I can pull the switch fuse out and it is locked off until I replace the fuse... even though I still install my lockout on the breaker...

Never seen one here.

JFletcher

I have never seen one wired any other way.

Me either. Never seen a local disconnect for one either, so I presume they don't need one. Come to think of it, I don't even remember seeing a breaker lock on a dishwasher circuit. Maybe it's a Virginia exception, maybe I haven't worked on a lot of newer stuff to notice... Maybe a case of CRS.

Adamjamma

Or maybe it is beapcause all the ones I have dealt with electrically you push under the counter.. or can leave out against a wall...and often times the customer puts the hose in the sink...

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
422.16 covers disposals, dishwahers, compactors, range hoods, and cooking units

422.31, both A and B dictate the following>

where the switch or circuit breaker is within sight from the
appliance or is lockable in accordance with 110.25.

110.25 EX>

Exception: Locking provisions for a cord-and-plug connection shall not
be required to remain in place without the lock installed.

Cord & Plug are the best option, because most kitchen appliances do not accept LOTTO

OR, HW it all, w/kitchen subpanel w/in sight

~RJ~

MAC702

Or maybe it is because all the ones I have dealt with electrically you push under the counter.. or can leave out against a wall...and often times the customer puts the hose in the sink...

It's not just you. I've never seen a hardwired DW, either. And they are all screwed and fixed under the counter, usually next to the sink, and the cord and drain go through a cabinet wall hole and hook up under the sink. They are plugged in to a receptacle, usually a duplex that is half-hot/half-switched and sharing a MWBC with the garbage disposal.

olc

Do you install a cord and plug on a disposal?

I've never seen a plug on a dishwasher.
The only ranges I have seen hard wired are drop in type.

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
422.16 covers disposals, dishwahers, compactors, range hoods, and cooking units

422.31, both A and B dictate the following>

110.25 EX>

Cord & Plug are the best option, because most kitchen appliances do not accept LOTTO

OR, HW it all, w/kitchen subpanel w/in sight

~RJ~

110.25 would allow a breaker lock at the panel.

olc

Unless it's interpreted to be subject to physical damage then you can use NM, I would use a cord. Hard wired DW's will require a disconnect or breaker lockout.

For a disposal - Doesn't the switch serve as the disconnect?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
For a disposal - Doesn't the switch serve as the disconnect?

It could but typically they're on the counter top and I have heard an inspector say that it's not within sight when you're working under the sink.

Status
Not open for further replies.