Hardwire a Landscape Lighting transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZsparky

Is it OK code wise to hardwire a low voltage landscape lighting transformer as long as there is a means for disconnect? Currently it is plugged into a GFI receptacle that trips very intermittently (about every third day or so) amd have not been able to find the reason for it.

JohnJ0906

Is it OK code wise to hardwire a low voltage landscape lighting transformer as long as there is a means for disconnect? Currently it is plugged into a GFI receptacle that trips very intermittently (about every third day or so) amd have not been able to find the reason for it.

Do you mean cut the cord cap off, then hard wire it? If so, that might be a violation of the listing.

TOOL_5150

First I would replace the GFCI [cheapest route] Then go for the transformer. GFCI's dont just trip for no reason. Yes, there are bad GFCI's but those usually let the smoke out when you power em up.

~Matt

AZsparky

Well how about a in use cover it will protect from the rain .Take care
It is thoroughly protected from moisture incursion with an in use cover, silicone caulked around the cover perimeter. I have done everything you can think of to troubleshoot the transformer, the 12 volt lights attached to it, the GFI itself. It doesn't make sense to me, but I feel that the cause is originating from the line side wiring of the GFI. Does that seem possible since the GFI protection doesn't start until the GFI itself? Could a voltage fluctuation do this? The GFI is energized by a lighting contactor which is controlled by a photocell.

JohnJ0906

Nothing on the load side of the transformer would trip the GFCI, so that is out. Have you already tried replacing the GFCI? If so, my best long distance guess would be the transformer itself.

mxslick

It is thoroughly protected from moisture incursion with an in use cover, silicone caulked around the cover perimeter. I have done everything you can think of to troubleshoot the transformer, the 12 volt lights attached to it, the GFI itself. It doesn't make sense to me, but I feel that the cause is originating from the line side wiring of the GFI. Does that seem possible since the GFI protection doesn't start until the GFI itself? Could a voltage fluctuation do this? The GFI is energized by a lighting contactor which is controlled by a photocell.

(Bold added by me)

I think that's the source of the problem. A marginal GFI that trips from the inrush from the transformer.

Replace the GFI or better yet, try to get a transformer with a built-in photocell and eliminate the contactor setup.

mcfly

gfci question

gfci question

i replaced a gcfi today and when i pushed the reset button it made a little noise. i never heard it before on any other gfci. any suggestions besides changing the gfci. the gfci did trio and reset properly with the gfci tester
thanks for any suggestions

? fo the ? are there splices in the t-ll box?

Status
Not open for further replies.