Hardwire Smoke Detectors with wireless interconnect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so this is actually about my own home. I've got some really old hardwired detectors in place right now (6 I believe). Unfortunately, the cheap builder didn't run 3 conductor romex for them, so they are not currently interconnected. When I replace them, I'd like them to be interconnected, and am trying to figure out which direction to go. I'm all single story, so all the romex is accessible in the attic (somewhat), so I could to through and replace all the segments with 3 conductor and just go with cheap interconnected 120V detectors - I would like the one in my great room to actually be a smoke/CO combo unit. The other options, if available, and because I hate going in my attic, is to find a hardwired w/wireless interconnect (like firstalert's Onelink line) that fits my needs. However, FirstAlert only seem to make PE Smokes (SA521CN-3ST) with that combination of features, so no CO combo unit. Does anyone know of a product that would fit the bill here?

I suppose it might be an option to go with the SA521CN-3ST in my 5 room locations, and then a battery powered device combo unit (SCO501CN-3ST) in the great room, I just hate the idea of putting a battery device where I already have power wired to.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
In private discussion with the OP, he assures me he is a facilities engineer (electrician.)

My apologies for the delay.

I think your best bet is to repull 3 conductor. Cheaper and less problematic in the long haul.

That's appears to be what the answer will end up being. I did find the product offerings a bit - odd. You would think that there's be some level of parity among a product line between the 120V and the battery devices, but that is really not the case. There are far more options available for battery only devices than the better hardwired ones. Oh well, it's just a little wiring.

masterinbama

I installed some hard wired smokes in a similar situation that did not have to have the signal wire as part of the 120volt cable (considered class 2). The directions said to use a single 18awg or larger wire for the interconnect.

Status
Not open for further replies.