hardwired nuisance alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Znogard

house has combo devices, ionization, photoelectric, carbon monoxide and a heat detector in the garage all hardwired
The fire alarm sounded for a few minutes. No fire or smoke. About a month later alarm goes off again for a few minutes. Also in the early AM no fire or smoke.
It couldn't be a carbon monoxide issue....could it since it was four weeks between alarms?

What else could be causing the nuisance alarm? The cold effecting the heat detector in the garage? All devices less than two years old.

Going to change batteries and vacuum devices
Thoughts?

Eureka

Condensation

Condensation

I just did some research on fire/smoke detectors because I'm going to install in a cabin and have come to find that any installation below 40 degrees F will require specialty equipment. The condensation affects the sensors. Try googling commercial detectors.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
From you original post I was not clear as to what type alarm(s) is in the garage-- heat detector only ?
I have also had alarm folks tell me of similar situations where the culprit ended up being critters in one of the alarms (ants as I recall)

Znogard

From you original post I was not clear as to what type alarm(s) is in the garage-- heat detector only ?
I have also had alarm folks tell me of similar situations where the culprit ended up being critters in one of the alarms (ants as I recall)

Heat detector in garage

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Heat detector in garage

OK, follow up:

Is it a "dumb" heat detector, or an addressable detector? Commercial or residential, the UL standard for electronic detectors bottoms out at 32 degrees F.

Also, the panel should report the zone (which I guess is how you know it's the garage) if conventional, or the exact device, if addressable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.