Hardwiring Landscape Lighting transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is the transformer designed for hardwiring or will the cord and plug be removed? The latter scenario may have listing issues.

AZsparky

It is corded. But I could replace it with one listed for hardwire. I have a GFI that trips about every third day and I can not find the reason for it. I have been through everything I can think of to find the cause. Does anyone know if a voltage fluctuation on the line side of a GFI can cause it to trip?

480sparky

Is the cord plugged into the GFI, or is the GFI protection location elsewhere (upstream GFI or a breaker)?

If the former, replace the GFI. If the latter, it may not even be the transformer that's causing it.

If the recep is ouside, what about a bubble cover?

AZsparky

The transformer is plugged directly into the GFI receptacle (Cooper) The GFI is energized by a photocell controlled lighting contactor.
I have replaced the GFI. (Cooper)
It is bubble cover protected from moisture.
The transformer has been replaced with a temporary one for troubleshooting purposes.
The secondary LV cabling to the lights has been replaced.
All splices (4) on the LV cable were done with Nightscaping Ace connectors which are finalized (direct burial rated) with shrink tubing.
The lights have all been visually inspected and tested for shorts.
It could be a bad GFI again, but what are the chances? Oops, I just remembered why I don't buy powerball tickets. Could be a bad GFI again..........

AZsparky

The transformer has been swapped with a temp one that had no problems with a gfi receptacle where it was located. Once swapped however the GFI in the problem area still tripped about every third day.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The transformer has been swapped with a temp one that had no problems with a gfi receptacle where it was located. Once swapped however the GFI in the problem area still tripped about every third day.

Now you have me confused. :-? Is there 2 GFCI recep.- one at the trany and one upstream or downstream? Are you sure something else isn't tripping the gfci

AZsparky

Sorry. There is one gfi that is doing the nuisance tripping. I was just stating that the transformer is temporarily swapped out with another transformer that was plugged into a gfi on a seperate building. This temp transformer began tripping the problem GFI once it was temporarily installed. So, as a troubleshooting test i am concluding that it is not a transformer problem, but something else. Right now, I have strung a temp power cord to feed the transformer from a different GFI (adjoining building and seperate circuit) to see if is it holds under the transformer and its load. I hope I am explaining the situation so it makes sense.

AZsparky

I just won a contest. Now if I could only troubleshoot a GFI

I just won a contest. Now if I could only troubleshoot a GFI

This is my entry that I submitted for the Leviton code blunder contest. I hope the url works.

An AL to CU splices in residential attic area just above garage scuttle hole. Code violations: AL to CU splice not contained in proper junction, Cu only rated wire nuts that had been arcing and had done quite a bit of wood burning by the time it was discovered, feeder was also draped across scuttle opening which is not shown in this photo. If this code buster had been in contact with attic insulation or other easily combustible materials, it may have cost lives.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn215/beckerelectric/AltoCUopensplice.jpg

220/221

That's sweet!

Where did you find that?

I love finding burned up stuff.

Your hardwired transformer doesn't have to be GFCI protected but I have not seen one from the factory without a cord/plug.

When I find a landscape light transformer tripping a GFCI, I disconnect it, hand it to the home owner, send them to The Depot and tell them to call me to reinstall it. Too many time killing issues with landscape lighting. The mark up ism't enough to cover the warranty work.

AZsparky

Found that little gem located just above the garage attic access opening in a residential foreclosure property in Scottsdale, AZ. I was there to do remedial work for the new owner. Somebody spliced #8 AL(dryer feeder) to CU#6 THHN(3' splice), Used CU wirenuts, then finished it off with grey phase tape. You can see where the arcing was doing a little wood burning. The insulation had actually bubbled on the AL cable from the resistance generated by this setup. If this was insulated space, I think a nice attic fire would have occurred. I'm guessing this was done because the cable was probably damaged by things stored in this space.

Jim W in Tampa

Found that little gem located just above the garage attic access opening in a residential foreclosure property in Scottsdale, AZ. I was there to do remedial work for the new owner. Somebody spliced #8 AL(dryer feeder) to CU#6 THHN(3' splice), Used CU wirenuts, then finished it off with grey phase tape. You can see where the arcing was doing a little wood burning. The insulation had actually bubbled on the AL cable from the resistance generated by this setup. If this was insulated space, I think a nice attic fire would have occurred. I'm guessing this was done because the cable was probably damaged by things stored in this space.

just hate it when a nice burn job fails .A fire would have saved there credit.

hardworkingstiff

This is thought provoking.

We have a transformer that is GFCI protected. Can the secondary have a ground fault that the GFCI device can see? Can power leave one side of the secondary windings and not come back on the other side of the secondary windings? In other words, will the GFCI device be able to see a ground fault on the secondary side? If so, can someone explain the current flow and what the secondary and primary currents would be?

If the GFCI device is not able to see a ground fault on the secondary, then the problem is on the primary side.

I would take out the photo cell and let the lights burn 24 hours a day and if after 5 days I did not have a problem, ...... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.