Harmonic Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

A-1Sparky

I've got a question about harmonic filters for non-linear loads. I'm wondering if harmonic filters are superior to harmonic mitigating transformers and 200% neutrals as far as rectifying issues caused ny non-linear loads (specifically, loads associated with a computer center). Thanks in advance.

A-1Sparky

Sorry, I should have provided more info. The incoming voltage has to be stepped down anyway (from 480 to 208y/120v) for the equipment. I'm wondering if the combination of a harmonic mitigating transformer along with a 200% neutral is a better install than let's say a k-rated transformer along with a harmonic filter. Also, are there any impedance issues as far as wiring in a harmonic filter in series as the manufacturer suggests? :?

ron

Sorry, I should have provided more info. The incoming voltage has to be stepped down anyway (from 480 to 208y/120v) for the equipment. I'm wondering if the combination of a harmonic mitigating transformer along with a 200% neutral is a better install than let's say a k-rated transformer along with a harmonic filter. Also, are there any impedance issues as far as wiring in a harmonic filter in series as the manufacturer suggests? :?

If your going to use a harmonic mitigating transformer or a harmonic filter/transformer, why would you need 200% neutrals. The filter will reduce the transmission of the triplen harmonic that you are afraid of.

Personally, I think the harmonic issue is no longer a big issue. Equipment non-liner power supplies have been modified over the years to comply with European standards which have equipment level limits.

A-1Sparky

Thanks for the replies, guys. From my understanding, the filter or harmonic mitigating transformer will REDUCE the Triplen harmonics and not eliminate them. That would still lead to increased current on the neutral (hence my thought about a 200% neutral). Has technology really progressed that far with computers and electronic devices that we don't need to worry about non-linear load issues? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.