Harmonics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neelesh

I've a very basic question about Harmonics in AC electrical system.
We know that even harmonics cancel out and only odd harmonics remain in the system.

I want to know how exactly even harmonics cancel out?

[ March 04, 2004, 04:41 AM: Message edited by: Neelesh ]

scott thompson

Re: Harmonics

I thought Even Order Harmonic Distortion (2nd, 4th, 6th...) was an Audio issue...???

: ) :eek: :roll: :confused:

Triplen (?3 of fundamental Hz and equal increments thereof) results in nastyness within the common conductor of a 4 wire 3? Wye's multiwire branch circuitry, when THD is >20% per Line (worst cases found at 33% +).
These Hz would fall at crossings of 60Hz ? 3, 180Hz ? 3 and 360Hz ? 3, and every third multiple afterwards.
The 1st / 3rd Harmonic point - at 180HZ, is where 60Hz ? 3 and 180HZ combine. Others combine in a similar fashion throughout the spread.

Not sure if even order Harmonics will exist on an AC, or if Odd order Harmonics will exist in an Audio (Sound) wave. If anything, they will be of very low amplitude.

Just my 2?...

Scott35

Neelesh

Ron:

Thank u for your inputs.

However my basic question remain un answered. Can u help please?

bennie

Esteemed Member

A circuit with a half wave rectifier will produce even numbered harmonics.

Even number harmonics are 180 degrees out of phase, which cancels any created current and voltage.

Projector lamps operate on a half wave diode, the circuit is rich with even number harmonics.

ron

You've got to draw out the three phase time/current sin wave at 60 Hz and 120 Hz and 240 Hz, and see how the values at different time instants of the drawing add to zero or not :) depending on if it's even or odd multiples of 60hz.

Ed MacLaren

Neelesh,

Here is a little sketch comparing, for example, third harmonic currents versus even (120 hz) harmonic currents in a three phase system.

The 120 hz harmonic currents of the three phases are not "in phase" with each other. (bottom sketch)

Ed

Harmonics7.gif

ron

Ed,
Perfect graphic.
I was just trying to create something similar on excel, but you captured the concept perfect.
What do you use to create that with such symmetry? Impossible to do free hand :)

Neelesh

Ron, Ed, Dereckbc, Bennie

Thank you all for filtering even harmonics out of my mind.

Special thank to Ed for excellent expalnation

Neelesh

Status
Not open for further replies.