Have to hang Quads from ceiling in Commercial Building

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
But is it a violation of 314 something? We've used female Kellems grips with chase nipples and they've never come loose.
thanks

Sorry I meant to get back to you the first time you asked.

Check out 314.23(H)(1), it requires a cord supported pendant box to have a threaded hub for the strain relief.

bjp_ne_elec

I would support a 4" octagon box in the ceiling with a Caddy 512 bar

512HD.jpg

Iwire - what's that clip for, that comes with the Caddy bar? Is that where you add support from jack chain? I just got some dropped off on Tuesday.

Also, how do you anchor those octagon boxes to the Caddy Bar?

Thanks

JohnJ0906

I would support a 4" octagon box in the ceiling with a Caddy 512 bar

512HD.jpg
bjp_ne_elec said:
Iwire - what's that clip for, that comes with the Caddy bar? Is that where you add support from jack chain? I just got some dropped off on Tuesday.

Also, how do you anchor those octagon boxes to the Caddy Bar?

Thanks

That clip holds the box to the bar, as well as providing means to support the box/bar with tie wire or jack chain.

I still like the SO cord, Kellem's grip, with a FS box. Use this solution all the time...
Never had any inspection issues. In fact, OSHA likes them better than a 4s / 1900 box... because the 4s has a KO... FS is TOUGH! And yes, they do hurt when they hit! :grin:

iwire

Staff member
I still like the SO cord, Kellem's grip, with a FS box. Use this solution all the time...
Never had any inspection issues. In fact, OSHA likes them better than a 4s / 1900 box... because the 4s has a KO... FS is TOUGH! And yes, they do hurt when they hit! :grin:

A 4s is a direct NEC violation.

I have been seeing a lot more ceiling supported pendant type receptacles lately. It is not often that they are properly installed. The retail stores are the ones where I see it quite often...with many different types of installations. It is amazing how many different ways I see them installed.
1900/4s boxes with the KOs, and NM connectors for the cord are the most common installations I see.

A 4s is a direct NEC violation.

Exactly... I guess I should have worded that better.

That's why OSHA had a field day with one of our contracts...
We installed 1 drop: 12/3 SO, with 2 Kellums grips and a FS box...
They had 14 other drops... all 4s with a standard cord grip... 14 violations later...
Then the company had the audacity to ask me why it was so expensive...

rt66electric

I agree with the caddy 512 HD Bar set-up.. I have Also put a square of 1/2 Plywood/waferboard that fits snuggly above the ceiling tile inside of the t-grid. Sandwich the board between the tile and the caddy bar, cut out a hole with a jigsaw for whatever j-box you use. Cut the wafer board 23-7/8 by 47-7/8. This also works really well for computer power poles.

bjp_ne_elec

I used to do a lot of work for a local electronics manufacturer. We would just drop 12-3 cord with kellum grips on each end supporting a FS box for GP outlets and twist-loks for dedicated circuits. We would hang them 7' AFF so people would not bump their heads on them. A new room with no equipment in it reminded me of that movie Coma

Are you using 3/4" fitting on the Kellum Grip? The cord I have requires a 3/4", and I'm having trouble finding the round white malleable covers with 3/4" hub.

bjp_ne_elec

I see the problem - supply house gave me 12/3 SEOOW cable - which has a bigger OD.

Where can you get the OD for common cord type wire? The Kellum grips are listed for a particular range. What I have is a "BOX 40" - and the SEOOW won't fit in to the 1/2" Kellum grip. If I move to the larger Kellum, then I can't seem to get a FS-type white round cover with a 3/4" KO.

Thanks

Dave

ZZZ

I would be surprised if a plastic box even with threaded hubs is listed to be supported from the hub.
That's a good point, I am thinking you're right, even a lot of Woodhead boxes aren't designated as pendant boxes.. I forgot the OP was talking 2-gang, but some of those Woodhead pendant boxes would work. As far as the cord support and "spring thingy" so the grid isn't used as support, I think you could use a steel cable through the tile and support the cord below the tile with one of these:

http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/wiring/catalogpages/page_T38.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.