Have you had experience using RTRC?

MechE_PowerGuy

New User
Occupation
Substation Design Engineer
Hello all! This is my first post here but a longtime lurker.
I am putting together some information about PVC vs RTRC uses in the power industry for subgrade conduit runs.
I am trying to get an idea of the learning curve people have experienced using RTRC over the more generally used PVC conduit.
Anyone from field installers to power systems engineers would be great to hear from.
The RTRC conduit seems like it can be better used in renewable energy projects due to its improved temperature ratings, but I am not sure how people generally feel about using this alternative conduit material.

Thanks in advance! Any other resources/codes/experiences would be greatly appreciated!

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
If by subgrade you mean underground I am not sure there is any advantage over pvc. It appears to have substantial advantages above ground though as a substitute for rigid.

But it is not real common yet. Takes a while for people to change even if there is some advantage.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
One advantage is that you don't have the "burn through" issue at 90s when pulling conductors like you may have with PVC.