Hazardous area or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

codequestion

Banned
I have 500 gallon capacity heating oil above ground storage tank (AST) system alongside building inside attached wooden shed structure. Would this be hazardous location? Which section article of nec 2014 apply?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
I have 500 gallon capacity heating oil above ground storage tank (AST) system alongside building inside attached wooden shed structure. Would this be hazardous location? Which section article of nec 2014 apply?

Typically heating oil does not does not meet the classification of the material groups in 500.6, and the area would not be a NEC hazardous location.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Probably not due to flash point of heating oil.

No. 2 Heating Oil is notoriously difficult to ignite by ordinary means. Typical furnace design requires maintaining a spark while the fuel is fed into the burner. Unlike natural gas, it won't stay lit when the igniter turns off. Some systems do have a clever design for a rotating flame or some such. That's why if you have an auxiliary motor on your sail boat, you're best off with a diesel. It won't leak and blow up when you're in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Well, it may leak, but it won't blow up.

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
Flash point of heating oil number 2 is 126 F so would that be combustible liquid class 1 div 1 or div 2 nec 2014 500.5?

It is my understanding that only fuels with a flash point under 100 degrees F would be considered hazardous. I have never had to use a classified wiring method for diesel fuel, kerosene, or heating oil. Heating oil is basically the same as diesel or kerosene. The following is from an ECM article.

Q. How does the Code address diesel fuel dispensers as they relate to hazardous locations?
A. The hazardous Class I location requirements contained in Art. 514 only apply where a flammable liquid having a flash point below 100°F [Art. 100 Volatile Flammable Liquid] is stored, handled, or dispensed [514.3(B)]. The flash point of diesel fuel is 100°F or above; thus, the area involving diesel fuel is typically not a classified location.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It is my understanding that only fuels with a flash point under 100 degrees F would be considered hazardous. I have never had to use a classified wiring method for diesel fuel, kerosene, or heating oil. Heating oil is basically the same as diesel or kerosene. The following is from an ECM article.

Q. How does the Code address diesel fuel dispensers as they relate to hazardous locations?
A. The hazardous Class I location requirements contained in Art. 514 only apply where a flammable liquid having a flash point below 100°F [Art. 100 Volatile Flammable Liquid] is stored, handled, or dispensed [514.3(B)]. The flash point of diesel fuel is 100°F or above; thus, the area involving diesel fuel is typically not a classified location.

I think kerosene is a little different. It appears to be like diesel but some forms of it purportedly have a much lower flashpoint.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I think kerosene is a little different. It appears to be like diesel but some forms of it purportedly have a much lower flashpoint.

Wiki lists the flash point of kerosene as between 100°F and 150°F. They don't mention if this is open cup or closed cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.