Hazardous Classified Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoyt

Attempting to determine the classification of an area and to what extent, if any, the classified area should extend.

Existing property is what I would consider a Bulk Storage Plant per the NEC 515.2.
Within this property we have a building that has a basement level 4? below grade and 4? above grade. At this basement level a mix of gas and water has flooded the level. The water/gas mix has been removed and a company was hired to install well pumps (pneumatic) in the floor to extract the ground water from below the floor and pump the water/gas mix from the basement level to another building. The fluids are then separated, etc. A cleanup effort/system.

A ventilation fan has been installed to extract vapors off the concrete floor and discharge to the exterior.

The well pumps system (6 total pumps) were installed as Class I, Div 2?. But existing lighting wiring is present (very old) and installed as unclassified wiring within the space. (This well pump system has not started yet?. Do to the existing wiring and questioning about the total space classification).
We have been asked to review the space and process, then determine what classification the space is and to what extent if any.

It is my opinion, per NEC 500.5 (B)(2) the space is Class I, Div.2. What I have not been able to determine is if the entire basement level should be classified?. or set dimensions around the well pump system should only be classified.

NEC Table 515.3 (For Bulk Storage Plants) gives set dimensions of the classified areas? but I do not see any ?Locations? that would reflect what situation we have in this basement.

Last edited:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Just curious - can you still smell gasoline down there?

Maybe the answer is to shut off the power down there and let the non-electric pumps run in the dark and not worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.