Hazardous, or difficult location charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Does the location of the work change what you charge for a job? For instance if you are asked to bring power and lighting down a 45 ft drop that goes from about 80 degree slope to sheer drop for about 15 ft, trying to power a boat house on lake. Do you increase your hourly rate based on difficulty?

cpickett

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I think you would increase the hours required to account for the difficulty and slow going that job will be. If you need to rent equipment to get the job done add that too.

D

Dell3c

"Height & Hazard" compensation? it's not unheard of by some..

James L

Occupation
Electrician
This and also don't be afraid to just decline a job that is too difficult or dangerous.
Exactly. I was asked one time to install and wire a roof-mounted attic ventilator (electric whirlybird).

It was going to be on the back side of a roof with a 14/12 pitch. From that whirlybird to the ground was attic, 2nd floor, 1st floor, and walkout basement. Altogether about 50 ft.

Umm, no.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Is there percentage above standard you consider fair if quoting such a job? Or is there a percentage that is standard for hazard rate?

kwired

Electron manager
Is there percentage above standard you consider fair if quoting such a job? Or is there a percentage that is standard for hazard rate?
How much more time do you think it will take you vs similar install without the extremes involved?

Will you need to purchase or rent equipment you don't have to get the job done? If you do have such equipment how much does it cost to just own and maintain it? You don't own or rent this stuff to not help you profit as a general rule.

Even just the need for fall arrest and other personal protection gear adds to the cost to do the job. Sometimes certain tasks require additional helpers as well. If suspended by some sort of winch you may still need a winch operator as well as a "safety line" operator, and may need another winch or other method of bringing materials to the installer that is hanging off the winch.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
That's when you get a roofer to install it then you wire it.

-Hal
Even still, with that roof pitch, I would have been trying to drag an 8 ft ladder into the attic through a 30"x30" scuttle in a closet. Then trying to drag some lumber or plywood strips up there to stand the ladder on. I'll pass

kwired

Electron manager
Even still, with that roof pitch, I would have been trying to drag an 8 ft ladder into the attic through a 30"x30" scuttle in a closet. Then trying to drag some lumber or plywood strips up there to stand the ladder on. I'll pass
With that high of pitch 8 foot ladder still possibly not enough. You possibly end up building a permanent ladder and even a work platform at the unit location.

kwired

Electron manager
Those things are designed to be installed from the outside. How do you manage working with the roof shingles and sealing it up from inside??

-Hal
His last comment was about wiring it after someone else installed it. Still a long way to the peak of roof from inside is what he was getting at.

Status
Not open for further replies.