Hazardous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbeer

Looking for advice how to procede (if at all) with a business locally storing 55 gallon drums of gasoline and oil inside a warehouse. My common sense alert was kinda going off but I didn't necessarily fully understand why. The smell of fumes etc. was terrible and I was curious if a classified environment could have been created and should be addressed. Thanks for your thoughts.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
This is one of the tougher questions to answer directly. There are multiple factors involved. Typically, the critical factor is the total amount of flammables involved. A few 55 gallon drums may not be enough if only simple storage is all that is involved, but several dozen may be. Conversely, if a transfer of product is involved a single drum may be all that is necessary to require at least modest electrical area classification.

The primary Standard is NFPA 30, Flammable and Combustible Liquids Code. NEC Article 515 is largely taken from this Standard. Although your application is probably not directly in the scope of Article 515, it is definitely within the scope of NFPA 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.