HAZLOC Design Supervision by PE

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluzman

Where would I find the NEC requirements for having the design of a HAZLOC installation supervised by a PE and what, in your opinion, would a PE be expected to provide? I know I've seen that requirement somewhere but I'm having problems locating the article. The HAZLOC in question is a research facility classified as C1D2GB. I'm in the process of preparing for an operational readiness review and want to be sure I've done my homework.
Thanks,
bluzman

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
It is not a general requirement. It is only required when a location is classified under Article 505. See [2005] 505.7(A). Other significant Sections are 500.4(A) and (B) which are general requirements. Some of the external documents refered to in 500.4(B), especially API-RP500 and NFPA 497, give the recommended minimum documentation requirements.

EDIT ADD: Unless there is a change during the comment stage the PE supervision requirment will be dropped in the 2008 NEC. Some jurisdictions may consider electrical area classification the practice of engineering and require a PE whether the NEC does or not.

Last edited:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
rbalex said:
EDIT ADD: Unless there is a change during the comment stage the PE supervision requirment will be dropped in the 2008 NEC. Some jurisdictions may consider electrical area classification the practice of engineering and require a PE whether the NEC does or not.

That's good to hear. What made them change their mind?

Status
Not open for further replies.