hazloc pancake fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I did a quick check of UL's Online Certification Directory:

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/template/LISEXT/1FRAME/index.htm (insert Noren in the "Company Name)

I found several of the Air to Air coolers listed, but nothing on the motors that implied they were suitable without being purged - that's no big deal since any motor manufacturer can make that claim.

I always view advertisement material a bit skeptically when it doesn’t get the designation for classified locations properly. Class and Division are always capitalized when used as a designation (certain abbreviations are permissible). Class is a Roman numeral and Division is an Arabic numeral.

Edit to correct weblink

Last edited:

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
My mistake - I should have looked up the "e" number (E210881). The actual fan manufacturer it Rotron

megloff11x

I think the expense of listing vs. how many customers will need to buy is the issue.

just because they can't write the catalog doesn't mean it's wrong, or right...

Most salesmen are wholly ignorant of what they're selling. I once had to redo an entire catalog for a company that I worked for. Our marketing person was functionally illiterate (much worse than product of the public school system me). Specifications were wrong, graphs were obviously wrong. They were usually swapped - performance of A labeled as Performance of B and vice-versa. The marketing manager hired a technical writer consultant to clean up the mess first and this highly recommended guy was starting sentences with "so." We dumped him and I agreed to fix it. Our marketing man had a hissy fit when I eliminated product options that we didn't actually make and others that required sub-assemblies that no one made and didn't even exist.

He was also infamous for putting out ridiculous specifications on new products, having them rejected by engineering, and then coming back claiming he'd fixed them as told - sign off here, when he hadn't. In meetings he would then deny all and try to stick us with the specifications.

Of course all of the honest folk were let go before him during the next down turn.

At least they got one honest and non-embarrassing catalog before I left for greener pastures. This guy probably went into politics afterwards.

In the old days, companies didn't allow or tolerate slipshod work and dishonesty, nor did they put the ignorant or untrained in positions of responsibility, but welcome to the modern world of business.

End of rant. I just need cooling fans outside in the hazloc area. I'll check more before buying.

Matt

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
It was their claim the fan was UL recognized, so I simply checked. It turns out that they are under their Rotron label - as I acknowledged. Actually most shaded pole motors of any brand are probably acceptable in Division 2 ? listed or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.