Hazloc requirements for General Purpose enclosure housing IS controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sselman

We have a certified intrinsically safe controller and approved associated accessories enclosed in the smaller instrument housings that they were certified with. These devices are then mounted in a large fiberglass enclosure along with the mechanical(non electrical) parts in a Class 1 Div. 1 installation. ALL electrical devices in the enclosure are certified IS.

A field inspector (for the electrical installation to our control document) stated that we cannot use a fiberglass enclosure because ALL non-metallic materials are combustible and therefore cannot be used according to CSA22.2 No.0. stating "Enclosures of electrical equipment shall be noncombustible" I guess assuming that all non-metallic enclosures are combustible?

Can you help direct me where to find the specifics about suitable enclosures (non-metallic) for IS devices in a Class 1 Div. 1 and/or Zone 1 installations.
I would assume that a non-metallic enclosure would have to meet surface resistivity for static control and flammability ratings at a minimum.

Thanks in advance,
Scott Selman

Status
Not open for further replies.