HCF cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have patient care area basic to general care in which cable type specified is HCF. I don’t see HCF in NEC 2014 anywhere or in section 517. Is it in the NEC 2014?

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Nope. You need that redundant ground.

What I mean is that what is called HFC cable is 'type AC' cable with added features to meet health care requirements.

A 'health care EMT' installation is still normal THHN in normal EMT, but with additional features required by code for health care settings. I believe that HFC cable is shorthand for AC cable with health care installation features.

Jon

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Nope. You need that redundant ground.

What I mean is that what is called HFC cable is 'type AC' cable with added features to meet health care requirements.

A 'health care EMT' installation is still normal THHN in normal EMT, but with additional features required by code for health care settings. I believe that HFC cable is shorthand for AC cable with health care installation features.

Jon

I don’t follow. So HFC cable is compliant with 517.13 redundant grounding or not?

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
What the manufacturer I linked calls HFC appears to be type AC cable with a green insulated conductor.

The sheath counts as a ground, just like any AC cable, and the green insulated conductor is a ground. That looks like a redundant ground to me.

Jon

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Put another way: normal type AC cable does not have a redundant ground.

If you add a redundant ground then it is still type AC cable, and as far as the NEC is concerned is just a particular version of type AC.

This particular version of type AC is used where a redundant ground is needed, and is called type HFC, but that name is slang, not in the NEC.

Jon

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Dude, the "aluminum interlocked armor" jacket is the other ground, just like Winnie and infinity said.
You're correct. They are listing it as the bonding conductor in the pdf. Just another way of saying the same thing. (It has 2 grounding means)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Did you even look at the info in the link you posted?

Roger
That would be a good start !
HCF = Health Care Facility and, as Roger notes, in the description on the cut sheet YOU posted it states approved for Health Care !

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
That would be a good start !
HCF = Health Care Facility and, as Roger notes, in the description on the cut sheet YOU posted it states approved for Health Care !

Well it states it but was not sure how it would comply with 517.13 but found the answer here thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Well it states it but was not sure how it would comply with 517.13 but found the answer here thanks
Yes you're correct it does not clearly state that the jacket and bonding wire combined make an EGC but it is an EGC because that is part of the construction requirement for type AC cable found in 320.100 and 320.108.

Status
Not open for further replies.