HDD's optimized for CCTV surveillance performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgookin

I can't speak of those drives in particular, but Seagate used to make ES series HDD's (enterprise series) and I have some that are in an array 15 years old and they work great. I was disappointed when I learned they stopped making them. I'm glad to see they again have some higher end drives.

As to whether it's equitable for you to spend that money, it depends how important the data is.

egnlsn

Occupation
A/V/Security Technician
It makes sense to me -- an HDD that is designed to spin 24/7 as opposes to one that isn't. I have a couple of regular HDDs in my NVR, and the picture stops every few seconds for a second or 2. Whether I am viewing the NVR live or recorded, same thing. When I view the camera directly, no problem. One of these days, I'm going to replace them. The price isn't that bad -- <$130 for 3TB. I just have to spring for 4 of them.

It makes sense to me -- an HDD that is designed to spin 24/7 as opposes to one that isn't.

You're really looking at 'enterprise' vs 'consumer' drives. The enterprise drives are designed to run, non-stop, for years; the consumer ones are designed to be low-cost and low-power (but it's generally the controller/OS that spins them down, not the drive itself). Take your pick, and set the power management to keep the drives spinning. Current Seagate "Enterprise capacity" drives (ST6000NM004 and related) are showing a spec MTBF of 1.4M hours and an annualized failure rate of 0.6%. And a 5 yr warranty at 24x7 power-up.

Also... in general (but not always), the better media and mechanics are only available in SAS interface drives, not SATA.

nhfire77

Absolutely, but I prefer WD RE for high performance systems. The WD purple is fine for more 8-16 camera systems. They really do last longer and, when (not if) a drive failure occurs at the most inopportune time either your customer is extra pissed and the cops are usually disappointed.

They are engineered for 24/7 read/write. A standard drive in your PC has lower quality components, they cannot handle the wear or dissipate heat as well. As zbang said they have a much better MTBF and they do hold up to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.