HDPE 2023 Code Change Missing

Mike.IES

Occupation
Project Manager
Looking for some assistance with finding the actual code change. The text in my 2023 code book and my 2020 are the exact same. NFPA was no help finding the actual change. I can see online that it has changed to remove heat fusion as allowable and the wording is supposed to have been revised but it doesn't show in the codebook nor on the NFPA free code text for the 2023 codebook.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
2020 NEC:

353.48 Joints.
All joints between lengths of conduit, and between conduit and couplings, fittings, and boxes, shall be made by an approved method.
Informational Note: HDPE conduit can be joined using either heat fusion, electrofusion, or mechanical fittings.

2023 NEC:

353.48 Joints
All joints between lengths of conduit and between conduit and couplings, fittings, and boxes shall be made by an approved method.
Informational Note: HDPE conduit can be joined using either heat fusion, electrofusion, or mechanical fittings.

Mike.IES

Occupation
Project Manager
So that's the only change that I am seeing, but in a code update course this is what we were told and I'm seeing it online in different "Code Updates" but nothing physical in the codebook anywhere.

"Section 353.48 was revised to specify that joining methods for High Density Polyethylene Conduit (HDPE) must be made using a method identified by the manufacturer, explicitly prohibiting the use of heat fusion or butt fusion joints due to the risk of internal lip formation that can damage cables during pulling; this lip also reduces the available wire pull surface area and impacts conduit fill calculations."
It states this change was made by CMP-8

Yet my 2023 Code book specifically states heat fusion is allowed

Mike.IES

Occupation
Project Manager
This is what I find from CMP-8 off the NFPA website under the 2023 codebook

"Second Revision No. 8133-NFPA 70-2021 [ Section No. 353.48 ]
353.48 Joints. All joints between lengths of conduit, fittings, and boxes shall be made using either electrofusion or mechanical fittings by a method identified by the manufacturer. Heat fusion or butt fusion joints shall not be permitted ."

"using either electrofusion or mechanical fittings" is crossed out

Submitted date was Thu Oct 21 13:10:24 EDT 2021

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The main text stating "by an approved method" would take precedent over anything in an Informational Note.
If the manufacturer does not approve of a method it would not be allowed.

I do see some PIs on that but no TIA as best as I can determine but some folks here do better at following those changes.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Sounds like a change that was accepted at the First Draft and Second Draft stages, but didn't make it into the final 2023 NEC. The code change course may have been based on the Second Draft and then incorrectly not updated for the final 2023 NEC.

Cheers, Wayne

Mike.IES

Occupation
Project Manager
Yes, I agree with that in the actual wording of what's in the code book.
What I'm trying to understand is if heat fusion is approved still, even though it's not changed in the 2023 Code book itself to state it isn't allowed, but in the passed code revision from panel 8 it states it is no longer allowable.
So what will be enforced in the field?

Mike.IES

Occupation
Project Manager
Sounds like a change that was accepted at the First Draft and Second Draft stages, but didn't make it into the final 2023 NEC. The code change course may have been based on the Second Draft and then incorrectly not updated for the final 2023 NEC.

Cheers, Wayne
Well that would be great! Have a lot of equipment that we wouldn't have to get rid of now.

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
Most likely, it was what Wayne said above. But I feel adding this tidbit of information might be helpful.

The NEC historically didn't have revisions but in 2017 or 2014 they started printing updated TIA copies. You can see which revision by reading the numbers. Example below. It is a sensitive subject because it is one of the only documents that is adopted as law for building codes rather than as advisement codes to AHJs. Most other codes are advisement or standards for authorities. The NEC usually gets adopted at a state or district level as is or revised and made law. And, for example, California does not update their electric code after the date of adoption so TIAs in the 2023 do not make it to the California electric code. There is a gentleman by the name of Mark that argued with the NEC's board and code making panels at lengths about this. They finally conceded to add a "T" to the nfpa link "editions" to indicate the TIA updated section.

You have revision 1 if you see 1,2,3,4,5
You have revision 2 if you see 2,3,4,5

If you have NFPA link then the updated parts are marked with a "T" for TIA adopted change.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The main text stating "by an approved method" would take precedent over anything in an Informational Note.
If the manufacturer does not approve of a method it would not be allowed.
I agree with Augie informational notes are not part of the code language. IMO the NEC should say directly what methods are or are not permitted.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
So that's the only change that I am seeing, but in a code update course this is what we were told and I'm seeing it online in different "Code Updates" but nothing physical in the codebook anywhere.

"Section 353.48 was revised to specify that joining methods for High Density Polyethylene Conduit (HDPE) must be made using a method identified by the manufacturer, explicitly prohibiting the use of heat fusion or butt fusion joints due to the risk of internal lip formation that can damage cables during pulling; this lip also reduces the available wire pull surface area and impacts conduit fill calculations."
It states this change was made by CMP-8

Yet my 2023 Code book specifically states heat fusion is allowed
That is what happens when they write code changes books and teach classes based on the first and second drafts and not the actual adopted code.
From First Revision No. 7537-NFPA 70-2020:
353.48 Joints.
All joints between lengths of conduit, and between conduit and couplings, fittings, and boxes, shall be made by an approved method using either electrofusion or mechanical fittings.

From Second Revision No. 8133-NFPA 70-2021
353.48 Joints.
All joints between lengths of conduit, fittings, and boxes shall be made using either electrofusion or mechanical fittings by a method identified by the manufacturer. Heat fusion or butt fusion joints shall not be permitted.

From Certified Amending Motion 70-85.
353.48 Joints.
All joints between lengths of conduit, and between conduit and couplings, fittings, and boxes shall be made by a an approved method identified by the manufacturer. Heat fusion or butt fusion joints shall not be permitted.