HDPE Conduit - Max Number Of Bends

yesterlectric

Occupation
Electrician
Does anyone think we could benefit from revising or removing the requirement that there be no more than the equivelant of 4 90 degree bends in between pull points for HDPE conduit? I just think when you have little/no couplings that a snake in a trench shouldn’t really be counted as one of the bends.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Does anyone think we could benefit from revising or removing the requirement that there be no more than the equivelant of 4 90 degree bends in between pull points for HDPE conduit? I just think when you have little/no couplings that a snake in a trench shouldn’t really be counted as one of the bends.
You can submit a PI, but very unlikely to be accepted. No matter what the reason is for the bends, they add to the friction when installing conductors and/or cables.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
Even with regular LFNC, when feeding wire to connect a short whip you have to first pull it straight or you can't feed it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
5 or 6 90's typically is not an issue but there are many varying factors like the type of conductors (solid versus stranded) and amount of fill. 16-10 solid in a 1" EMT with 4-90's could be a problem.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Is this for a directional drilling application? I can see why you would want more than 360 degrees, but that limit is a long time code rule. But make a public input for the next cycle

yesterlectric

Occupation
Electrician
Sometimes this is directional drilling and sometimes not. But generally HDPE conduit comes on a reel and unless it’s a very long run with a coupling it often has no attached fittings, other than maybe at a transition to PVC at at stub up. I agree with the person who stated the rule probably will never be changed because it’s been around for a long time. However we all know that there are times where 4 90s is way too many and then there are times where more could be OK. A little snaking of a HDPE conduit can be totally fine in many cases.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Sometimes this is directional drilling and sometimes not. But generally HDPE conduit comes on a reel and unless it’s a very long run with a coupling it often has no attached fittings, other than maybe at a transition to PVC at at stub up. I agree with the person who stated the rule probably will never be changed because it’s been around for a long time. However we all know that there are times where 4 90s is way too many and then there are times where more could be OK. A little snaking of a HDPE conduit can be totally fine in many cases.
Slight snaking I don't count so long as it's less than 10° back and forth. Its negligible and i haven't had an inspector hold me to those degrees of bend. This is one of those things that you need eyes on the project honestly it's not something that can just he written down. I do like the 360 limit and I think anyone who has ever had to pull out conductors will agree.

yesterlectric

Occupation
Electrician
Slight snaking I don't count so long as it's less than 10° back and forth. Its negligible and i haven't had an inspector hold me to those degrees of bend. This is one of those things that you need eyes on the project honestly it's not something that can just he written down. I do like the 360 limit and I think anyone who has ever had to pull out conductors will agree.
Yes I know it doesn’t make sense to enforce it that way but I can tell you on some large projects you really don’t know when someone’s going to come in off the street and try to show off by enforcing the code as they see it written. It’s not always just the local inspector. It’s never made sense to me that they have maximum of 4 90’s for flexible conduits too.