Heading West - good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

This one is for you SoCal guys. Currently I live in New England and every now and then I toy with the idea of moving to the San Diego County area to take advantage of the nice weather and building boom going on. I've been there about 5-6 times allready (I know some people who moved there and love it) and I always enjoy it.

I'm not married and no kids so I don't have that holding me back.

I'm looking for the pros and cons.

Here's what I know:

Cons:
It's hideously expensive to live there, even by New England standards.
Gas is around $3 a gallon.
Traffic is a nightmare.
Construction wages tend to be lower due to large influx of immigrants and lax licensing laws.
There are so many people moving there that finding a place to live is very difficult.

Pros:
The weather is beautiful.
The beaches are beautiful.
The women are beautiful. :D

Ok, can anyone add to my list?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Heading West - good idea?

In my Navy days, I spend about 3 months in that area. For my money, I would not agree with the "weather is beautiful" statement. Too hot for my tastes. ;)

apauling

pros: if everybody goes there, they won't be here
maybe you'll get into a car accident with a star.
you might know someone who knows someone who...a star.
you might connect with the right people and find enough work, within 100 miles.

cons: it's getting hotter and it's going to keep getting hotter.
you could buy two homes elsewhere for the apartment rent.
soon, the whole south state will be paved.
If everybody moves there the BIG quake will happen sooner. Maybe this should be in pros.
You could inherit a fortune and have enough to put down on a house.
You might not be rich enough for those girls on the beach.
they wear less in Florida and Texas

that's for starters

paul

Nick

I think you already summed it up. Housing is out of site and construction wages are low. It's up to you to decide if you can swing it. The contractor I work for has shop there and I have been asked on three occasions to run jobs there. All three times I seriously looked into it. In the end it was too expensive and the shop was not willing to pick up the difference. Otherwise I would probably be there now.

sandsnow

Originally posted by charlie b:
In my Navy days, I spend about 3 months in that area. For my money, I would not agree with the "weather is beautiful" statement. Too hot for my tastes. ;)
Charlie
Must have been the wrong three months. :p I've always enjoyed San Diego.

Peter
Winter is quite mild some rain, but mudslides on hillsides ravaged by the last wildfire.
Three hot months a year. I live in "The OC" (Disneyland Area) and don't turn on the A/C and survive just fine.
Mountains and Deserts are great playgrounds motorized or on foot.
Here in Orange County just north of San Diego (~60 miles) work is plentiful commercial and residential, but housing prices are through the roof. To work in OC, you have to live out in the Inland Empire (don't know why they call it that) like San Bernardino or Riverside. IT"S HOT THERE!
Labor influx doesn't seem to drive down commercial wages.

Got any more specific questions, I'd be happy tro answer

Status
Not open for further replies.