Health clinic exam room gfci feed another gfci. Nec or health code 99 violation?

We found a situation where exam rooms gfci receptacles were in series with other gfcis in another exam room.

I thought this was a violation of NFPA 99 or NEC. Not finding a violation unless I have overlooked, but is definitely a BAD design.

I was taught you genally want the clinics exam rooms to have their own control of the gfci where it wont affect another room ( helps keep uninterrupted HIPPA privacy) You can share a circuit but never wire it in series with a next door exam room.

Others have stated just put a regular receptacle in series to the upstream gfci, I say it's better to just have it in parallel and not series and keep the gfci in both rooms that way they have seperate control.

Other than bad design can some one help me find the code violation if there is one on this?

d0nut

No code violation in the scenario described. The only healthcare location I can think of that requires dedicated GFCI devices is in wet procedure locations that aren't using isolated power panels.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I instructed someone that was having trouble with downstream GFCI not working because the upstream GFCI had tripped, to change the conductors on the 1st GFCI's load side to line side. That way each GFCI could be controlled locally.