health insurance q

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Shado~

I have an employee who is single. I am paying 1/2 of his health insurance. (I know for a single employee it is customary for the company to cover the whole thing but it is what I can afford right now.) We talked and he wants to opt out because he has apparently found some alternative plan that he can get cheaper than the share he is paying now.

My question has to do with what I can see coming next because I have seen it before in other companies I worked for. When he opts out I think there is the potential that he is going to expect the premium I won't be paying for him anymore as an additional benefit payed directly to him. I could be gearing up for a fight that won't materialize but I'm just trying to arm myself. It is my opinion that those monies are used to fund this particular benefit if you choose to participate. If you opt out you are not entitled to those monies as an "extra".

So what do you think?

1st - Just because it is MAY be customary to fund the employees share...does not mean it is mandatory.

2nd - Just offering insurance is a bonus....

3rd - NO....you do not pay him the premium....you are not obligated by any means to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.