Heat Detector over Dryers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jnas480

As a Vol Fire Fighter and Electrician.
I seen my share of Dryer fires and what can happen from them.

They should add to the NEC or NFPA to require a heat/smoke detector with in certain distance of a dryer.

Clothes dryer fires account for about 15,600 structure fires, 15 deaths, and 400 injuries annually in residential buildings.

(Most dryer fires are caused by not cleaning the dryers,)

http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/downloads/pdf/tfrs/v7i1.pdf

mivey

Good point. Had heat detector for the garage and kitchen when I installed my alarm system. Did not think about the laundry.

nakulak

I think that a heat detector for dryers might be good for life safety, but being an after the fact alarm, I think that a better solution would be to require manufacturers to have a built in safety feature that makes the dryer inoperable when the lint is built up. Almost all new dryers have built in humidistadts which shut the dryer off for over-dry clothes, and it does not seem too far fetched to have a safety feature on the exhaust.

Sometimes personal accountability and responsibility is the only thing thats needed to remedy a problem. Just because the technology is there doesn't mean it should be mandated or implied to relieve someone of common sense.

B4T

Sometimes personal accountability and responsibility is the only thing thats needed to remedy a problem. Just because the technology is there doesn't mean it should be mandated or implied to relieve someone of common sense.

There are more brain dead people walking around than ever before.

I know this just by watching them drive cars.

Stupid people kill innocent people all the time.. a heat detector over a dryer is a really good idea.

electricmanscott

Yeah !! Let's get rid of smoke detectors too. Then we can go after air bags, seat belts, speed limits, rules for airplanes, mandated insurance, the list goes on and on, and then just when the world is this magical Utopia.....we go after the NEC.

Freeedooommmm!!! :roll:

Ok back here in reality where most of us live, I say great idea. Somebody submit a proposal. :)

Boy there really is one in every crowd.

nhfire77

As a Vol Fire Fighter and Electrician.
I seen my share of Dryer fires and what can happen from them.

They should add to the NEC or NFPA to require a heat/smoke detector with in certain distance of a dryer.

Clothes dryer fires account for about 15,600 structure fires, 15 deaths, and 400 injuries annually in residential buildings.

(Most dryer fires are caused by not cleaning the dryers,)

http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/downloads/pdf/tfrs/v7i1.pdf

I am not going to look this fact up but I am willing to bet a whole lotta cash that lamps, radios, space heaters and other devices plugged into outlets all over a residence cause more fires, deaths and injuries than dryers.

By the logic being implied in this thread, we now need to put a smoke in every space/room that has outlets in it, or close enough to a outlet that would allow the device plugged into it to be put in it (closets, cabinets)

So since putting a heat over a dryer is a good idea, a smoke in every room is a GREAT idea. (sarcasm implied)

You should submit the ROP. I would like to see the debate on this.

IMO: It would be shot down because if they accept it, they would have to accept every change recommended that is remotely safety related. You can not regulate everything. People are going to do stupid things that directly leading to others being injured and killed. Those are accidents. If, they meet the threshold, maybe its negligence/criminal.

Caveat:

I am all for electrical codes and common sense safety rules, but there is a line that can be crossed by over regulation, which IMO, that is what this would be.

iwire

Staff member
I am not going to look this fact up but I am willing to bet a whole lotta cash that lamps, radios, space heaters and other devices plugged into outlets all over a residence cause more fires, deaths and injuries than dryers.

You can send the cash to me at

Bob Badger

1234 Main Street

Luckytown, MA.

• Clothes dryer fires account for about 15,600 structure fires, 15 deaths, and 400 injuries annually.
  • Eighty percent of clothes dryer fires in structures occur in residential buildings.
  • Annually, 12,700 clothes dryer fires occur in residential buildings resulting in 15 deaths and 300 injuries.
  • ?Failure to clean? is the leading factor contributing to clothes dryer fires in residential buildings.
  • New home construction trends place clothes dryers and washing machines in more hazardous locations away from outside walls such as bedrooms, second-floor hallways, bathrooms, and kitchens.

From here http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/downloads/pdf/tfrs/v7i1.pdf

nhfire77

There are a few unstated facts here as well.

The OP is a firefighter. So am I. We work for the fire department. 90% of the job is FIRE PROTECTION. Not FIRE PREVENTION. Prevention is key.

Prevention is eliminating the threat. We cannot eliminate the root cause: People.

What is the next closest step to the idiot with a lint problem? The lint itself.

We cannot eliminate lint, not completely at least.

Then we have the dryer. It does not care what you put in the dryer, but we can regulate it internally. What about the humidistat idea stated before. Sounds good, but I have additional idea. A thermal fuse. If we can stop heat from building up in the dryer, then we PREVENTED a fire. Now we don't need a heat detector to tell us HEY, stupid, the house is on fire, get out.

Now Let's look at the result of a thermal fuse tripping due to improper lint removal. The dryer operator can no longer dry their clothes. They will either call a technician in to repair it, or replace the unit. Either way the fire was prevented.

Let's assume for argument's sake, a repair man was called in. Also let's assume its a decent repair man ( I am not here to debate the efficacy of dryer repair men.)

He will find a blown thermal fuse, determine the cause was the lint. He will then inform the dryer operator, they caused the problem by not cleaning out the lint. FINALLY, we got someone to address the root cause of the problem; The operator.

Now, I do not assume that this will prevent all dryer problems, fuses will not operate properly etc. but it addresses the problem at the ROOT CAUSE.

Also, I hear someone out there saying, but the dryer manufacturer's will balk at it. Sure, but the first one that puts it in will market it as a dryer safer than any other dryer. They would be right, eventually all manufacturers will adopt it to be competitive.

If we add safety features to the dryer, we will not have to rewire our houses. It is a cheaper method and it deals directly with preventing, not putting out fires.

Last edited:

AV ELECTRIC

I will not run my dryer when i am not home or sleeping . We put our faith in our technology and i believe we get complacent. . I just don't see anybody doing proper maintenance on anything. Ive gone to many residences where the panel hasn't ever been looked at cleaned . A response would be i got smoke detectors of coarse those smoke detectors are over 10 years old. I have never been called to an occupied residence just to give a house an electrical check up or while there for a repair could you check out my electrical system I guess its bill paranoia . We have insurance for everything you can think of . I don't have to take care of myself i have health insurance. There is a point to personal responsibility technology as a good thing for making are live more comfortable may not be making us smarter or healthier . information and education may be the best tools for complacency .

nakulak

the fact is, dirty filter buildup sensors are fairly common these days. Heck, my central vac has an indicator. I don't see why dryer manufacturers haven't done anything about this.

nhfire77

I will not run my dryer when i am not home or sleeping . We put our faith in our technology and i believe we get complacent. . I just don't see anybody doing proper maintenance on anything. Ive gone to many residences where the panel hasn't ever been looked at cleaned . A response would be i got smoke detectors of coarse those smoke detectors are over 10 years old. I have never been called to an occupied residence just to give a house an electrical check up or while there for a repair could you check out my electrical system I guess its bill paranoia . We have insurance for everything you can think of . I don't have to take care of myself i have health insurance. There is a point to personal responsibility technology as a good thing for making are live more comfortable may not be making us smarter or healthier . information and education may be the best tools for complacency .

Are you advocating (gasp), prevention? I like it.

electricmanscott

The OP is a firefighter. So am I. We work for the fire department. 90% of the job is FIRE {JOB} PROTECTION. Not FIRE PREVENTION. Prevention is key.

There, I fixed that for you. ;)

Anyway, I don't understand how, or why anyone would argue against something like this that just makes perfect sense given the facts. :confused:

The facts are dryer fires are numerous, smoke detectors save lives, smokes are required in all hallways, basements, stairways, bedrooms, and other rooms if the square footage is large enough the the hall smokes don't cover it all. Heat detectors are required in garages and carbon moxide detectors are required throughout a dwelling. All of these devices have to be interconnected and have a battery backup. Adding a heat in the laundry area would be cheap and would actually be a code change that makes sense.

Based on Mass building code.

wawireguy

DON'T FEAR THE DRYER! I run it when I'm sleeping or not at home. If it lights up, it lights up. That's what smoke alarms are for. I see no need to add a additional heat/smoke detector above a laundry space. Our current level of smoke detector coverage seems adequate to me. I think maintaining operating smoke alarms in your residence is much more important than adding more detector requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.