Heat Detector testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

olc

What if anything is involved with periodic testing or inspection of heat detectors?
How to test/inspect if it is hard to reach?

WorkSafe

NFPA 72.

Semi-annually inspection. Annual testing.

Look at nfpa 72, 14.3.2 for inaccessible device inspection and testing. Testing will be done IAW manufacturers manual most likely.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Last edited:

nhfire77

Little known/paid attention to fact-

conventional, spot, fixed temp only non-restorable heats must be replaced after 15 years, or 2% sample lab tested.... as they cannot be tested. If its a combo rate of rise, annual testing is necessary (2013 72).

If you have restorable fixed heats, you only need to test 20% on each circuit, so all devices get tested within 5 years.

Read 72., and yes solo or SDI Fire make pole heat testers. The batteries are the expensive part.

MichaelGP3

Occupation
Fire Alarm Technician
Are there any reasons not to use a corded heat gun attached to a fiberglass pole for testing heat detectors? One battery powered model I tried did not seem to develop enough heat.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Are there any reasons not to use a corded heat gun attached to a fiberglass pole for testing heat detectors? One battery powered model I tried did not seem to develop enough heat.
Main two drawbacks that I see are:

1. You are not sure what temperature you are getting that sets the detector off, so it is not a calibrated test.
2. You have to be careful not to damage the surroundings with the heat from a heat gun if anything restricts the air flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.