Heat Sensor in Residential

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky9876

I am doing a job in New Jersey and I am completely finished and passed final electrical inspection. The fire marshall is asking for a heat sensor in the space under the house that is unfinished with nothing in the space but dirt. Does anyone
know where I can find this in the code book or is this something the fire marshall has jurisdiction??

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As Tom said this has nothing to do with he NEC. If required it would probably be in NFPA72. I've never heard of it, as Tom suggested ask where this is in the code. Are these devices even designed for outdoor locations?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
If you have passed final and fulfilled the requirements of the contract, wouldn’t this requirement by the fire marshal be on the GC?
Change order or new job in the works?

sparky1118

Occupation
Master Electrician
I am doing a job in New Jersey and I am completely finished and passed final electrical inspection. The fire marshall is asking for a heat sensor in the space under the house that is unfinished with nothing in the space but dirt. Does anyone
know where I can find this in the code book or is this something the fire marshall has jurisdiction??

Did you have a stamped set of plans showing the locations of the detectors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

farmantenna

Must be local requirement because NFPA 72 Chapter 29 (dwellings) states heat detectors "are not part of the basic protection scheme."

Massachusetts puts them in garages and laundry

Beaches EE

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Facilities Manager
As I mentioned in a previous post, during a remodel in NJ we were required by the fire inspector to install heat detectors in the attic (furnace was installed there), attached garage and utility room. The electrician wired them according to the plans approved by the borough fire inspector.

Status
Not open for further replies.