Heat Shrink Tubing for DLO Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaradayFF

Hey Guys,
Have any of you applied heat shrink on a DLO(Diesel Lokomotive) Cable? I've heard some concerns that the heat shrink may not work so well with flexible cable, but then there are vendors out there who do offer heat shrink for the DLO cable?
I understand if there is alot of movement expected for the cable, there may be a concern of the heat shrink loosing its "grip", but if it's properly applied and there is minimum cable vibration, I don't see an issue.

Thoughts?
Thanks,
EE

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Heat shrink over a terminal at the end of the cable, or heat shrink over the entire cable for some reason such as additional mechanical protection?

Jon

Todd0x1

Use the adhesive lined type. The thick wall with heavy adhesive is better but can get exepensive. Sometimes the cable is a bit slimey from manufacturing which keeps the adhesive from bonding to the jacket, I clean it with some degreaser first. I've done it a bunch with Types SC and W which are similar to DLO and have a rubber jacket.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Over a terminal at the end of the cable

IMHO the increased stiffness at the terminal location will act as a strain relief and protect the fine stranded wires right at the crimp.

Obviously not rigorously engineered or tested, but I wouldn't expect a problem.

If you are in a situation where the stiffness of the heat shrink is a problem, then an alternative would be silicone rubber fiberglass sleeve, which stretches over the cable.

Jon

FaradayFF

Gentlemen,
Thanks everyone for your response and help! I understand heat shrinks/cold shrinks are good practices to follow when installing/terminating new cables. From industry perspective, is this considered a "good" practice or a necessity to have to prolong the service of the installation?

Thanks,
EE

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
Gentlemen,
Thanks everyone for your response and help! I understand heat shrinks/cold shrinks are good practices to follow when installing/terminating new cables. From industry perspective, is this considered a "good" practice or a necessity to have to prolong the service of the installation?

Thanks,
EE
I would say both statements are true, subject to the specifics of the install. I put heatshrink on large crimped lugs to act as strain relief, unless there's a compelling reason not to, so yes it's good practice. Depending on what you're doing, strain relief may be absolutely necessary too. I also think it provides a better fit and finish as well, regardless of "need" (good practice).

Can you explain exactly what you're doing, or what you're questioning, rather than talking in generalities?

SceneryDriver

FaradayFF

I would say both statements are true, subject to the specifics of the install. I put heatshrink on large crimped lugs to act as strain relief, unless there's a compelling reason not to, so yes it's good practice. Depending on what you're doing, strain relief may be absolutely necessary too. I also think it provides a better fit and finish as well, regardless of "need" (good practice).

Can you explain exactly what you're doing, or what you're questioning, rather than talking in generalities?

SceneryDriver
I was just wanted to confirm that stress cones are also applicable for Low-voltage system cabling terminations. I understand why they are used for Medium Voltage system cabling.
Thanks,
EE

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Hey Guys,
Have any of you applied heat shrink on a DLO(Diesel Lokomotive) Cable? I've heard some concerns that the heat shrink may not work so well with flexible cable, but then there are vendors out there who do offer heat shrink for the DLO cable?
I understand if there is alot of movement expected for the cable, there may be a concern of the heat shrink loosing its "grip", but if it's properly applied and there is minimum cable vibration, I don't see an issue.

Thoughts?
Thanks,
EE
I don't think it serves any real purpose. But it likely won't hurt anything to apply heat shrink over a crimped on terminal. The wire should not be moving at the termination points anyway.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I don't think it serves any real purpose. But it likely won't hurt anything to apply heat shrink over a crimped on terminal. The wire should not be moving at the termination points anyway.
My thoughts exactly... If you need flexibility at the terminal, you must not have any anchoring or bracing and that's another problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.