Heat trace

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I understand heat trace circuit require require GFPE however does the following require GFPE?:

1. Temperature Probe
2. Under floor heat control panel

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I am not sure how you would install gfpe or gfci on a probe

I have 120V single phase 20 breaker that feed temperature probe for commercial freezer used for food warehouse. I would say thru gfi breaker.

Do you know what section would cover temperature prove gfi for commercial freezer?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Isn't this the same questions you asked here:

-Hal

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Isn't this the same questions you asked here:

-Hal

this is about commercial freezer temperature probe post#1 needing GFCI or gfpe

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The rules in 427.22 only require GFP protection for the heating elements. It does not require any protection for a temperature probe or control panel. However the probe and control panel are often supplied by the same circuit that supplies the heating elements, so they end up with GFP protection, even though the code does not require such protection.

kwired

Electron manager
The actual "probe" is likely a thermistor, RTD, or thermocouple that operates at low volts low current. The device that processes this signal may be supplied by line volts as well as directly controlling line volts.

Some clarity of the actual question is needed.

Most in floor heating controllers are supplied with line voltage, have said low volt signal circuit to the sensing probe(s) and have GFCI protection incorporated in the controller that protects the output circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.