Heat Trace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Does heat trace have to be wrapped around a pipe a specific wat according to a spec, drawing detail or code or can it be applied either wrapped, straight across pipe etc. What/who determines application? Thanks.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Does heat trace have to be wrapped around a pipe a specific wat according to a spec, drawing detail or code or can it be applied either wrapped, straight across pipe etc. What/who determines application? Thanks.

1.Follow the manufactures directions to the tee
2.If they conflict with the engineers direction, see #1

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
1.Follow the manufactures directions to the tee
2.If they conflict with the engineers direction, see #1

The vendor n estimator at my job is dealing with said to wrap the heat tracing around the piping but the estimator says he disagrees and it can just be run as one straight run along the pipe and not wrapped.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
The vendor n estimator at my job is dealing with said to wrap the heat tracing around the piping but the estimator says he disagrees and it can just be run as one straight run along the pipe and not wrapped.

depends on what size pipe, and what you heating. normally this is determined by a process
engineer.

if you are asking on an online forum, without knowing the specs, you are most likely going
to end up with a very expensive mistake.

read this before asking any more questions... it will give you an idea of what questions to ask.

http://www.appliedproducts.com/_asset/2jxg12/SelfReg-PwrLimit_IOM.pdf

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor

I have seen manufactures show both ways in their instructions, I think it is all dependent on the ambient temp that the pipe is exposed to, running straight may be fine if the temp is 20 or 30 degrees below freezing, but if much lower temps are encountered, there may not be enough heat to prevent freezing.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I have seen manufactures show both ways in their instructions, I think it is all dependent on the ambient temp that the pipe is exposed to, running straight may be fine if the temp is 20 or 30 degrees below freezing, but if much lower temps are encountered, there may not be enough heat to prevent freezing.

the things that affect it are.....

product in line
insulation type
insulation thickness
line diameter
flow rate
ambient temperature
wind chill
desired set point to maintain

Status
Not open for further replies.