heavy up costs

Status
Not open for further replies.
what does the average heavy up cost? some thing like a 100amp to a 200amp service. We usually charge between 2 and 3k for a heavy up with a new meter, sec, 2 ground rods and a 40 position panel. I have some customers who don't have a problem and some that flip out. Can I get a general thought on what heavy-ups in the northern Va area run
thanx alex

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I'm closer to the other ocean, so my experience may not help. But your numbers are consistent with what I paid for a panel replacement three years ago. My job did not require replacement of the meter or addition of a ground rod.

growler

Joseph Alexander said:
I have some customers who don't have a problem and some that flip out.

If you ever try to do work cheap enough so that no one ever flips out then you may as well stay home.

It doesn't matter if a few people flip out so long as they pay.

I flip out every time I see $4+ for a gallon of gas.

mdshunk

peter d said:
The ones that "flip out" should be a dead giveaway that they'll be bad customers.
Or at least they're giving you a sure sign of how to proceed with your sales and closing efforts.

peter d

mdshunk said:
Or at least they're giving you a sure sign of how to proceed with your sales and closing efforts.

Good point, they are the ones who will get the "good" option of "good, better, best" assuming they want you to do the work.

mdshunk

peter d said:
Good point, they are the ones who will get the "good" option of "good, better, best" assuming they want you to do the work.
That's one thing you can (should) do. For lack of a better term, some people are just "drama queens". They already know this stuff's expensive. They just flip out just to see if you'll cave in. It's like a game they play. Few people are honestly astounded when they get a price on work, but some like to play like they're surprised. Heck, probably half the time these people who flip out about price pile on extras after you start the work. The old adage "buyers are liars" is still pretty true.

Status
Not open for further replies.