Height at drives and rooftop equipment height

Status
Not open for further replies.

garbo

I have been having some issues with the low headroom at several 50 to 100 HP drives . They were installed at a raised walkway on large air handlers where large ductwork only leaves about 5 foot 8" headroom from the front of drives to at least 6 feet away making in a problem working or PMing them .I also just got called out to look at a rooftop air handler .The bottom of the air handler is 48" off the roof making the 60 HP drive and disconnect switch 9 foot off the roof .Does leaving a 6 foot step ladder on roof satisfy the maximum height requirement? When I asked why they did not install a walkway in front of the electrical enclosure the contractor said that they did not want to possibly damage the new rubber roof . I know my life and safety is worth more than any roof but can not get thru to them . Anybody have any suggestions ? At a previous job whenever they wanted something that was against the code I would ask them to put it in writing and sign it so I had something to cover my you know what . One boss wanted me to pull SJO cord thru office furniture walls to energize receptacles and to use green wire to feed a 480 volt motor .Thanks.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I have been having some issues with the low headroom at several 50 to 100 HP drives . They were installed at a raised walkway on large air handlers where large ductwork only leaves about 5 foot 8" headroom from the front of drives to at least 6 feet away making in a problem working or PMing them .I also just got called out to look at a rooftop air handler .The bottom of the air handler is 48" off the roof making the 60 HP drive and disconnect switch 9 foot off the roof .Does leaving a 6 foot step ladder on roof satisfy the maximum height requirement? When I asked why they did not install a walkway in front of the electrical enclosure the contractor said that they did not want to possibly damage the new rubber roof . I know my life and safety is worth more than any roof but can not get thru to them . Anybody have any suggestions ? At a previous job whenever they wanted something that was against the code I would ask them to put it in writing and sign it so I had something to cover my you know what . One boss wanted me to pull SJO cord thru office furniture walls to energize receptacles and to use green wire to feed a 480 volt motor .Thanks.

What has this to do with photovoltaic systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.