height of acorn clamp on ground rod

Status
Not open for further replies.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
You could drive the ground rod and, if it were possible, attach the acorn at the very bottom, or anywhere along the length of the rod.

The "grounding characteristics" of the rod, in contact with earth, are not altered by the position on the rod of the grounding electrode conductor contact point.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
stickboy1375 said:
I like mine in the middle....

ROFL

Could you imagine driving a rod with a clamp (and EGC) tied to it? Or trying to get the clamp in the middle afterwards!:grin:

macmikeman

Years ago I learned that in rocky soil areas to put the acorn on before driving the rod, cause the end may mushroom out too much to put it on without some hard filing. Then I learned to tape it to someplace near the top, cause even if the clamp is wrench tight, the vibrations from the sledge or my Kango Rotary Hammer can loosen it and send it down into Hades where it is a chore to go fetch it back up.

ecirplr

I was taught that ALL mechanical connections had to remain accessible. How would placing the clamp at the bottom or middle allow maintenance?
My grandfather was an inspector for 34 years and you failed if the ground rod was cut(top was mushroomed from sledge hammer) and/or acorn nut was not accessible.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
ecirplr said:
I was taught that ALL mechanical connections had to remain accessible. How would placing the clamp at the bottom or middle allow maintenance?
My grandfather was an inspector for 34 years and you failed if the ground rod was cut(top was mushroomed from sledge hammer) and/or acorn nut was not accessible.

You need to read 250.68(A)Ex. No 1. Connections to a ground rod are not required to be accessible.

ecirplr said:

No disrespect to your grandfather, things were somewhat different in the past.

You should reference the code section that Trevor posted, and you will see that some of the things you have been taught from the past may no longer be applicable to todays wiring practices. That is why relying on memory sometimes can come back to bit you on the keester, and using the current codes as reference works best.

Status
Not open for further replies.