height of distribution panel in single family residence

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnsh2

is there a minimum height requirement for an indoor installation of a circuit breaker distribution
panel?

allenwayne

Re: height of distribution panel in single family residence

Another very grey area.It is indoors so 2 ft min mobile home rule doesn`t come into play.There has to be required working clearances so 30 x 36 applies can`t have a handle over 6 ft 7 in to top that applies,the ceiling height may come into play depending on height of the ceiling.Basiclly not alot said as far as the NEC goes :D

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

I don't feel its gray at all, very clearly laid out in 110.26
If minimum height was an issue, there would of been proposals to change in last code cycles, I don't recall seeing any. But you have ample time to make proposal for 2008 NEC.

davedottcom

If any of the circuit breakers are going to be "used as switches" you would have to follow 404.8(A)

Dave

allenwayne

Originally posted by davedottcom:
If any of the circuit breakers are going to be "used as switches" you would have to follow 404.8(A)

Dave
If i am correct and if not i am sure I will be corrected but in 05 code doesn`t it require OCPD`S to be a max of 6 ft. 7 ins. but there still is no min height.
So a Panel can be mounted at grade level and as long as there is 30 wide and 36 deep clearances and not a mobile home it is an ok install :D

mdshunk

Originally posted by allenwayne:
So it is OK for me to have to get on all fours to work on a panel in a residence but it has to be 2 ft from grade in a mobile home.At grade level I know that being on all fours requires that I need more than 36 in deep,unless I unscrew my legs and scrunch up real tight :D
Are you having trouble with other installers mounting panels at such a height? Curious, sice I've never seen a panel that I thought was obnoxiously low. A commercial MDP is often mounted darned near the floor, so I don't see a difference between that and a resi panel mounted at a low height. It's just that I've never seen one in a resi setting mounted at what I'd call too low of a height.

allenwayne

To meet poco height requirements this has not been an issue.All I was saying is that there is no NEC rule restricting min height and I could picture a panel at grade level and being cut in while on all fours :D .I am 6 ft 1 and couldn`t fit in 36 in of space to work on it if on all fours ;) Grabing at straws yes,food for thought oh yes

charlie

This is the language in the 2005 Code:

"240.24 Location in or on Premises
(A) Accessibility
Overcurrent devices shall be readily accessible and shall be installed so that the center of the grip of the operating handle of the switch or circuit breaker, when in its highest position, is not more than 2.0 m (6 ft 7 in.) above the floor or working platform unless one of the following applies:"

There are 4 parenthetical statements that follow. After the 2005 Code is adopted, it will make no difference whether or not the overcurrent device is used as a switch or not. :D

davedottcom

Hey Charlie...Good, I always thought that was strange!
So, did your "No" just change to a "yes"?

:)

Dave

jimwalker

If it is a back to back service usually the meter determines the height of the panel.Meters here must be 5 ft from ground level plus or minus 6 inches.As long as that does not result in a poor height for the panel i use it to determine panel height.

charlie

So, did your "No" just change to a "yes"?

Sorry Dave, no. The original question was Is there a minimum height requirement . . . ? I believe I answered it correctly. :D

allenwayne

Just wondering ? why in a mobile home does the panel have to be 2 ft above grade ,but in a home this same panel can be at or below grade as long as 110.26 is met :D

charlie

Allenwayne, the code making panels will not generally make a rule that has no purpose or is not correcting a problem. The 2 ft rule is there because all of the services are required to be mounted outside and are normally free standing. A lot of the older mobile home parks are in less than desirable areas that were subject to some flooding. The intent of this rule was to keep the services out of the water (at least, that is my understanding). I do not believe we have that type of problem with other services. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.