Height of outlets and switches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

3C

In California, are there any requirements for how high switches, outlets, and electrical panels must be installed in a residential dwelling?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Re: Height of outlets and switches?

American Disability Act determinates heights for switches and wall receptacles.
I don't believe that this applies to all dwellings.

sandsnow

In CA it's Not ADA, it's in the CA version of the NEC.
The California Electrical Code 2004 version based on the 2002 NEC.
It only applies in multifamily dwellings where required. Usually a percentage of the total units and should be on the approved plans as to which units are required to in compliance. Ask you inspector.

48" max for switches and A/C controls and FA. No minimum
The center of receptacle outlets are min 15" AFF. Here you will get different interpretations. Measured to bottom recep on duplex or center screw.

paul

Originally posted by sandsnow:
In CA it's Not ADA, it's in the CA version of the NEC.
The California Electrical Code 2004 version based on the 2002 NEC.
It only applies in multifamily dwellings where required. Usually a percentage of the total units and should be on the approved plans as to which units are required to in compliance. Ask you inspector.

48" max for switches and A/C controls and FA. No minimum
The center of receptacle outlets are min 15" AFF. Here you will get different interpretations. Measured to bottom recep on duplex or center screw.
The rockers just love it when we put our boxes at 48" to center. I try to be nice to them and go 48" to top, that way they're only carving up one piece and not two for every switch box. Recepts I normally go 18" to top. That's only if it's not spec'd out in the prints.

Status
Not open for further replies.