Height requirements for installing a door mounted relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

WastefulMiser

Does 404.8(A) apply to installing a relay on a relay panel? I realise you would have to comply for test switches and whatnot -- but what about a relay. For expample, installing a SEL-751A above 6'-7".

I know it is not good pratice -- but would it be allowable in your opinion? Or am I overlooking something?

Thanks.

mcclary's electrical

Does 404.8(A) apply to installing a relay on a relay panel? I realise you would have to comply for test switches and whatnot -- but what about a relay. For expample, installing a SEL-751A above 6'-7".

I know it is not good pratice -- but would it be allowable in your opinion? Or am I overlooking something?

Thanks.

Yes..........

WastefulMiser

You can mount it any place you want. Servicing comes later.

What does servicing comes later mean -- setting relay parameters?

What if the relay had an "open" and "close" pushbutton on the front of it and the relay was above 6'-7"? From Article 100 definition of switch I do not think test switches or push buttons are applicable.

The worst outcome would be that I would have to buy another section of switchgear all because of lack in instrument compartment space in a building that does not have enough room to expand the lineup.

Jim W in Tampa

What does servicing comes later mean -- setting relay parameters?

What if the relay had an "open" and "close" pushbutton on the front of it and the relay was above 6'-7"? From Article 100 definition of switch I do not think test switches or push buttons are applicable.

The worst outcome would be that I would have to buy another section of switchgear all because of lack in instrument compartment space in a building that does not have enough room to expand the lineup.

All things fail in time. Very little problem at 7 feet
We sometimes have them in hard to find areas like above ceiling grid. Your in no danger where your putting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.