Help identifying correct use of receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

aelectricalman

This plug I have seen looks like the following:

- -
O

It looks to be 30 amp in the panel, but never seen one. Could someone please help me understand when this is appropriate. Perhaps 208/230. Looks like 230V three wire, but not sure. Thanks for the help.

[ August 07, 2005, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: aelectricalman ]

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Re: Help identifying correct use of receptacle

Or
615p.jpg

6-15R

cselectric

Often the Nema configuration number, amp rating and voltage are listed on the face of the cord cap, or recept.

Beyond that, next time you are at the supply house ask them for a slide card of recept configurations. That would answer this question and any future ones about recept. types.

celtic

Originally posted by cselectric:
...next time you are at the supply house ask them for a slide card of recept configurations. That would answer this question and any future ones about recept. types.
..or just avoid the middleman and print out a copy from the link provided.

cselectric

That would work too I suppose... especially in the office. On site, or in my truck I prefer the slide chart, as print outs tend to get pretty well trashed in and around my truck :D

celtic

It could always be taped inside the "bible"....or put in a small binder with other reference material(like I keep in my truck).

The pages are all the same size (because I print them out at 8 1/2 x 11), a three hole punch and you're in business. I keep a bunch of pages printed out from Mike's free stuff in the binder as well. It makes life simple having it all organized.

aelectricalman

So that kinda answers my question. That is the receptacle you have listed. However, the hotel has this receptacle for wall airconditioning units listed for 208/230. The receptacle is listed for 250V. This sheet has this plug listed as 3pole ? That cant be right.

cselectric

Originally posted by aelectricalman:
So that kinda answers my question. That is the receptacle you have listed. However, the hotel has this receptacle for wall airconditioning units listed for 208/230. The receptacle is listed for 250V. This sheet has this plug listed as 3pole ? That cant be right.
250v is the maximum voltage rating. For a 208, 220, or 240 V system you need 250V rated devices.

As to three pole that doesn't make sense. It should be listed as a two pole/three wire.

cselectric

Originally posted by celtic:
It could always be taped inside the "bible"....or put in a small binder with other reference material(like I keep in my truck).

The pages are all the same size (because I print them out at 8 1/2 x 11), a three hole punch and you're in business. I keep a bunch of pages printed out from Mike's free stuff in the binder as well. It makes life simple having it all organized.
OK, so I could put it in my binder with my copies of the local POCO regs, state code addendums, local code addendums and my list of important phone numbers... but I wasn't bright enough to think of that :D

celtic

Originally posted by cselectric:
Or maybe, deep down, I'm a geek at heart and just like anything that vaguely resembles a slide rule :D
LOL..we all have our own demons...for me, everything must be in binders.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

(It should be noted that ALL the Configurations show the device with the ground UP )
So thats how they have to be installed, right?? With the ground UP :D

[ August 08, 2005, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: steve66 ]

celtic

Originally posted by steve66:
(It should be noted that ALL the Configurations show the device with the ground UP )
So thats how they have to be installed, right?? With the ground UP :D
I am not saying that..."they" seem to show that as the configuration...I tend to agree.

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.