Help Identifying This Document

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtester

I recently designed an electrical and fire alarm system for a small motel complex. This jurisdiction has adopted the IBC and the IFC. At final inspection the fire inspector red tagged the complex and said a ?full? fire alarm system was required. I haven?t received anything in writing except a copy of a document entitled ?FIRE ALARM SYSTEM REQUIRED FOR HOTELS/MOTELS?. The inspector says this is the code, however it is not in any code format I have ever seen. I did a google search and found it on a website from an HVAC contractor in Turkey. Here?s the link to the posting. http://www.iklimnet.com/hotelfires/firealarm.html
Has anyone ever seen this as an excerpt from a code or standard? I can?t recognize it as anything applicable in the US.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim T

del91574

If he's dinging you, he should be able to provide you with the documentation/standards he's holding you to, otherwise he's talking out of his butt.

Could also be the IRC being cited, however the AHJ needs to provide you with a clear standard and violations that are being called into play.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I recently designed an electrical and fire alarm system for a small motel complex. This jurisdiction has adopted the IBC and the IFC. At final inspection the fire inspector red tagged the complex and said a ?full? fire alarm system was required. I haven?t received anything in writing except a copy of a document entitled ?FIRE ALARM SYSTEM REQUIRED FOR HOTELS/MOTELS?. The inspector says this is the code, however it is not in any code format I have ever seen. I did a google search and found it on a website from an HVAC contractor in Turkey. Here?s the link to the posting. http://www.iklimnet.com/hotelfires/firealarm.html
Has anyone ever seen this as an excerpt from a code or standard? I can?t recognize it as anything applicable in the US.

Jim T

And I bet he'll have a suggestion as to which vendor can install this *full* fire alarm system for you. Ask him for the enabling ordinance and the exact document citation, not this internet nonsense. Even in New Jersey, where we have a Uniform Construction Code, occasionally you get an inspector who thinks he has a better idea. Kudos to the training required by the Division of Fire Safety, it is pretty rare.

dhalleron

Instead of "full" system maybe he is thinking of complete coverage. NFPA 72 defines complete coverage, but another code such as Life Safety 101 may or may or may not require it for your hotel.

I have had inspectors hand me a copy of their local code with their city's name printed on it. The city your project is in could have adopted a written code like what he showed you.

NFPA 72 2010:
17.5.3* Detector Coverage.
17.5.3.1 Total (Complete) Coverage. Where required by laws,
codes, or standards, and unless otherwise modified by 17.5.3.1.1
through 17.5.3.1.5, total coverage shall include all rooms, halls,
storage areas, basements, attics, lofts, spaces above suspended
ceilings, and other subdivisions and accessible spaces, as well as
the inside of all closets, elevator shafts, enclosed stairways, dumbwaiter
shafts, and chutes.

Weaver Road

What happened???

What happened???

Jim T

Jim,
How did this work out? I agree with the other posters. I always give "chapter and verse" of code section and state regulation that makes that code section enforcable.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.