Help! Missing Panel and Door!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosas

Hello,

My name is Steve and I need some guidance. I'm a new homeowner and the previous owners left us with this (please see attached picture). How can I find the manufacturer/model no? My two main concerns are 1) safety (obviously) and 2) maintenance (replacing proper UL breakers).

I'm hoping I can contact the manufacturer and replace the missing pieces myself.
Please don't tell me I need to hire this out and replace the whole box!!

Thanks for your help!!
Steve

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This is a forum for electricians and trades connected to the field. I can only tell you that if the panel is very old then you may have to replace the panel. If there is no model # then you may be out of luck. Look at the breaker and see what name is on it then take measurements and pictures and go to your local supply house and see if they can help you.

rosas

Missing Panel/Door!

Missing Panel/Door!

My name is Steve and I'm looking for some guidance.

I'm a new homeowner and out circuit box is missing the panel and the metal door. The previous owners thought they'd spruce up the cover and apparently didn't care all that much about their own safety!

My main question is this:
How do I find the manufacturer/model no. information?
I'm hoping that I can order a new box and replace the missing pieces (as well as insure that they installed the correct breakers). Please don't tell me I have to hire this out and replace the entire breaker!!

Thanks for the help!!
Steve
Panel.jpg

kwired

Electron manager
Unless it is a model currently still being produced - you are mostly stuck with finding some used cover or finding someone good at metal fabrication to make you a cover. Even if it is currently being produced, you may find that it cost less to purchase a complete panel and rob the part(s) you need then to try to special order just one component.

Did not see any attachment - there could be someone here willing to help you if they knew what you actually needed.

Keep in mind some old panels that are out there - you will have a hard time getting most electrical professionals to tell you it is worth trying to find some of the components you may be looking for, but their concerns likely go beyond just a missing cover.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
(kwired.. there was a duplicate thread that had a picture. I closed it as duplicate, but went back and merged the threads in case someone recognizes the manufacturer. I did not)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Looks like an older GE but the breakers look like a mix. I would check the main breaker and see if you can read it. The panel cover may not fit in there with the way the opening is made anyway. I am afraid you may have to get the panel changed out as it is old enough that it may not be made anymore.

I believe Cutler Hammer will make a cover for the panel but they will probably need some numbers as they usually make the guts and cover together

J.P.

Those breakers look like cutler hammer BR to me. I've been wrong plenty though.

There should be a sticker on the side (inside of the panel), probably under some wires with the model number on it.

Jon456

There should be a sticker on the side (inside of the panel), probably under some wires with the model number on it.
I hope the OP/homeowner has the presence of mind to open the service disconnect before he starts digging through the wires in that panel searching for the label.

Jon456

Well.....they are insulated.
Yes, but the OP/homeowner is not an electrician. Technically, no one should be working inside an energized residential panel. But especially someone who is inexperienced and unaware of the hazards involved and how to minimize them.

norcal

Main is a Zinsco style, which means it's Challenger, Bryant/Westinghouse, or General Switch, GS is my guess.

kwired

Electron manager
I see some violations on this picture. Who can find them?

Well to start with - there is no deadfront:p

I see white conductors landing on breakers near the bottom, but I can't see enough detail and suspect those could be GFCI or AFCI breakers which would have a neutral connection on the breaker. Now if they are AFCI - they probably are not listed for that panel if it is what some have suggested it may be, this may be true for GFCI breakers as well.

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I think the OP has enough info to continue his quest. Prior to our getting into the "fix it" phase, I am closing the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.