Help needed finding code on panel placement on or adjacent to shipping container.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEC_help

Where in the NEC can I find rules governing panel placement on/in or adjacent to a freight/shipping container?

My friend wants to start a welding business out of his container on his property, the container is on a slight grade though. any leveling would not happen till summer he said, but would like to find out what the NEC states on this topic.

I though that trenching and running his feeders in RNC and putting in a pair of PT posts to mount the panel to, and pouring a level concrete slab in front of the panel may be an acceptable route, but! I'm just a student, and not a licensed electrician. I'm just helping him do some research.

More info: The panel is to be 100amp fed from a commercial TB meter main and trenched 60 ft.

any advice would be appreciated.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Where in the NEC can I find rules governing panel placement on/in or adjacent to a freight/shipping container?

I agree with Dennis but would like to add being familiar with 230 would be a plus for this install.

My friend wants to start a welding business out of his container on his property,

More info: The panel is to be 100amp fed from a commercial TB meter main and trenched 60 ft.
Who figured 100A of 240v 1? (I'm assuming 1?)? This guy going to work alone forever?

Welcome to the Forum.:)

Jim W in Tampa

I agree with Dennis but would like to add being familiar with 230 would be a plus for this install.

Who figured 100A of 240v 1? (I'm assuming 1?)? This guy going to work alone forever?

Welcome to the Forum.:)

Nothing wrong in working alone, actually i prefer it over baby sitting.
Would suggest to atleast run 2 inch pvc to make job easier if his needs ever grow. Even as a 1 man shop 100 is not much.

NEC_help

yes one man show..

yes one man show..

PG&E told him that they only will allow a 30 amp welder on a single phase service.and as cost is crucial to them, they are just going with the bare minimum: welder receptacle/some general shop plugs and lights in the container and outside.

I'm not sure if this would fly with the local ...but using a temp panel with built in 240v plug and a GFI bank.. like those used on construction sites.

Can this setup be installed for a permanent install? anyone know if he's going to need to pour a level slab in front of the panel?

thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.