Help... New alarm system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank goodness I found this place. I am a homeowner and I think the contractor is blowing smoke up my behind.

We had a house built and a monitored alarm (Burg & Fire) system was installed. Before we moved in we asked the contractor to install an outlet in the basement for us to plug a refigerator and freezer into. He had an electritian come out and put that outlet in. The problem is he installed a GFI outlet and took it off the circuit that the smoke alarms are powered off of. So everytime the freezer or refrigerator cycles on, it trips the alarm and the fire department is called.

I talked to the alarm company and they said that is not right and the builder needs to remedy the situation. The builder says it meets code.

What I am looking for is specific references to the code and their interpretation so I can go back to the contractor with specifics. If I'm wrong, I need to know too.

Thank you!!

John

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Regarding the NEC the installation is code compliant unless the alarm panel as part of it's instructions, requires a dedicated circuit. But as a homeowner you could reasonably expect that the installation of the new receptacle wouldn't cause your alarm system to trip. So basically you're left with who is responsible. Sounds like the electrician did what he was paid to do which is install a new receptacle.

What is NEC?

I thought there was something in the NFPA that states that these circuits cannot be supplied through GFCI's? If there is a GFCI on the circuit, isn't that the same thing?

dlhoule

Check with your local building dept. There are a few places that require alarm systems to be on a dedicated circuit.:)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
perrybucsdad said:
What is NEC?
"National Electrical Code." It is published by the NFPA, and is their document number NFPA-70. When an electrician says, "it meets code," the NEC is the code he or she is talking about.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
perrybucsdad said:
What is NEC?

I thought there was something in the NFPA that states that these circuits cannot be supplied through GFCI's? If there is a GFCI on the circuit, isn't that the same thing?

Your original post did not say that the alarm panel was fed off of the load side of a GFCI. Having a GFCI on the circuit and feeding the alarm circuit from a GFCI are two different things.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
perrybucsdad said:
Sorry about that. So does that change the issue then? Is it "code"?

If your system qualifies as a Power Limited Fire Alarm System then you can not have it's power source GFCI protected. Is a dwelling alarm classified as such? I don't know. Here's the reference:

760.41 Power Sources for PLFA Circuits.
The power source for a power-limited fire alarm circuit shall be as specified in 760.41(A), (B), or (C). These circuits shall not be supplied through ground-fault circuit interrupters or arc-fault circuit interrupters.
FPN No. 1: Tables 12(A) and 12(B) in Chapter 9 provide the listing requirements for power-limited fire alarm circuit sources.
FPN No. 2: See 210.8(A)(5), Exception No. 3, for receptacles in dwelling-unit unfinished basements that supply power for fire alarm systems.
(A) Transformers. A listed PLFA or Class 3 transformer.
(B) Power Supplies. A listed PLFA or Class 3 power supply.
(C) Listed Equipment. Listed equipment marked to identify the PLFA power source.
FPN: Examples of listed equipment are a fire alarm control panel with integral power source; a circuit card listed for use as a PLFA source, where used as part of a listed assembly; a current-limiting impedance, listed for the purpose or part of a listed product, used in conjunction with a non?power-limited transformer or a stored energy source, for example, storage battery, to limit the output current.

dlhoule

I doubt that your system is a PLFA circuit.

760.41 Power Sources for PLFA Circuits. The FPN and exception you are asking about would only apply to a PLFA circuit.

I still recommend checking with local building dept.:)

I have called the local building department, but I am waiting for them to call me back. What section describes power sources for other types of circuits (not sure what the different types are).

Status
Not open for further replies.