Help, pulling hair out on this one!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
what is the minimum service demand for 10-8kw ranges in an apartment complex?

I have calculated the way I thought it should be done , But still not getting it???????:confused:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Show us how you did it and what you came up with, then we can help you find where you erred and how to find the correct answer.

Roger

10- 8kw= 80,000watts x.43=34400 or 34.4kw the 43% comes from table220.84 the correct answer is 25 kw in one of my Master exam studybooks but i don't see how it was figured??

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Okay, go back to article 220.55 which will point you to Table 220.55, go to the notes below the table and try to work it out from there.

Be careful when looking at the different columns, A & B are percentages and C is total KW, look for the minimum number.

Use a straightedge to help stay on the right line across the columns.

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
10- 8kw= 80,000watts x.43=34400 or 34.4kw the 43% comes from table220.84 the correct answer is 25 kw in one of my Master exam studybooks but i don't see how it was figured??

I think the range problems can be very tricky but I think you are looking at this incorrectly. 10 ranges--- then look at col. C

The question says min demand, But the answer in the answer key says 25 kw, column c says 25kw for 10 units? Man i have been staring at this section all afternoon and it is escaping me somehow, could you please work out this one and show how it is supposed to be?:smile:

Question says-the minimum service demand for 10-8 kw ranges in an apt complex would be??

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The question says min demand, But the answer in the answer key says 25 kw, column c says 25kw for 10 units? Man i have been staring at this section all afternoon and it is escaping me somehow, could you please work out this one and show how it is supposed to be?:smile:

Question says-the minimum service demand for 10-8 kw ranges in an apt complex would be??

Part III of article 220 is Feeder and Service Load Calculations and section 220.55 is in this part of the article, the title of table 220.55 is

Table 220.55 Demand Factors and Loads for Household Electric Ranges, Wall-Mounted Ovens,
Counter-Mounted Cooking Units, and Other Household Cooking Appliances over 13/4 kW Rating
(Column C to be used in all cases except as otherwise permitted in Note 3.)

all you have to do is figure which column will give you the lowest value and this would be column C for this particular question.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Taking (10) 8 KW ranges using column B would equate to,

10 X 8 KW =80 KW or 80,000 W

80,000 X 34 % = 27,200 W or 27.2 KW

Using column C allows these 10 units to be a 25 KW load, 2.2 KW lower than using column B

Roger

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.