Help sizing furnace breaker off nameplate?

Apprenti

Occupation
Apprentice
Am having a bit of a hard time reading furnace nameplates in residential dwellings. Found this one yesterday that made me do a double take.

Assuming all conductors run from the main panel to the furnace are sized correctly, can someone please help me figure out what size breaker to use for this furnace?

Thank you!

FullSizeR.jpg

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As I read it, and presuming 240v, two lines are marked, so you use these numbers:

Ckt 1: MCA: 52.6a, MOC: 60a
Ckt 2: MCA: 100.4a, MOC: 110a

This thing just about needs its own 200a sub-panel. :whistle:

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Does it really have both heaters or did the installed check the incorrect box then checked the correct box?

Resistive backup heat is not common in my area so I don't know much about these units. I figured you picked 1 optional heater accessory.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Does it really have both heaters or did the installed check the incorrect box then checked the correct box?
It should be plainly obvious when the wiring compartment is opened.

Resistive backup heat is not common in my area so I don't know much about these units.
That's all there is in all-electric homes.

I figured you picked 1 optional heater accessory.
Multi-stage heating is fairly common.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
The information is on the name plate. The marking of what heat packages you have is a little dubious. I would verify what you have.

I would take fan motor amps and (installed heater amps x 1.25) should at least be close to what they are asking for on the name plate. Also the name plate doesn't specify 1 phase or 3 phase they didn't check the box. Maybe it can be fed from single phase or 3 phase depending on the wiring diagram.

They could have made it a little clearer.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
The information is on the name plate. The marking of what heat packages you have is a little dubious. I would verify what you have.

I would take fan motor amps and (installed heater amps x 1.25) should at least be close to what they are asking for on the name plate. Also the name plate doesn't specify 1 phase or 3 phase they didn't check the box. Maybe it can be fed from single phase or 3 phase depending on the wiring diagram.

They could have made it a little clearer.
At least they marked something. Most I encounter don't bother to mark the heat package at all!