Help specifying parts for terminating 3-phase cables to a safety switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. I am a junior engineer specifying parts for a 3-phase safety switch termination. I have some exposure to industrial wiring but not enough experience to be fully confident of the parts I choose. I am the only EE in an office of MEs, and it's hard to find someone to guide me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I am working with a cable that has six 1/0-conductors that will be used to carry 3-phase 440 V in a marine environment. These conductors are going to be terminated to a heavy-duty safety switch.

Here are my questions.
I'm working with Square D Safety Switches. If I want fusible switches, I am limited to three fusible, switched poles with groundable neutral. If I am supposed to use the six conductors to carry the 3-phase, how would I terminate six conductors to this? Would I need two panels? Or should I consider the six not fusible, no neutral panel?

If this is too elementary, and I should be reading things up on my own, could someone suggest some reading material?

Thanks in advance!

jbelectric777

You say your terminating 480V three phase to a square D disconnect right? If its 480V three phase and there is no neutral then use 90degree copper double barrel lugs, two conductors per phase. You didnt give loads or anything so I assume your ok on that part. Just remember when paralelling everything has to be the same, same insulation and ratings, same length. You can even use dual rated lugs provided they are the proper temp rating. Depends where the disconnects going to be. You mention a neutral, with 6 conductors that wouldnt be three phase, that would be single phase. But simple answer for terminating two 1/0 conductors in one safety switch would be double barrels. Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.