LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
From the increments they’re metric sizes.

There are conversion tables on the web for mm² to AWG. But I’ll warn you they aren’t a perfect fit. A hammer comes in handy at times.
Thanx, I'll look. I'd rather follow up with one size smaller die than hammer a crimp.

I want to squeeze, not flatten; a hammer blow might loosen a hex crimp.

Besoeker

From the increments they’re metric sizes.

There are conversion tables on the web for mm² to AWG. But I’ll warn you they aren’t a perfect fit. A hammer comes in handy at times.
Yep. Yet another reason to go SI.............:D

Tony S

Thanx, I'll look. I'd rather follow up with one size smaller die than hammer a crimp.

I want to squeeze, not flatten; a hammer blow might loosen a hex crimp.

Many moons ago I had to terminate an old UK 0.3in² cable (yet another sizing convention). The hammer was to force the cores in to a 185mm² crimp lug, it crimped up quite normally after the mindless violence.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I bought this cheap hydraulic crimper around a year ago, and finally need to use it. The dies are marked with numbers, but I don't know how to convert to AWG. The numbers are, from smallest to largest: 4, 6, 10, 16, 25, 35, 50, and 70.

I happened to find it while looking for info: https://www.amazon.com/PENSON-CAYQK...ocphy=9053011&hvtargid=pla-307376708806&psc=1

If you go to customer images in that Amazon listing you'll see that someone posted a conversion table.

kwired

Electron manager
Yep. Yet another reason to go SI.............:D
Doesn't change the fact that a SI crimp on device probably shouldn't be used on a AWG sized conductor or the other way around, or similar with SI wrenches/sockets and the need to turn an "inch" sized bolt head.:p

Some may be a pretty close match but not all will work like intended.

Besoeker

Doesn't change the fact that a SI crimp on device probably shouldn't be used on a AWG sized conductor or the other way around, or similar with SI wrenches/sockets and the need to turn an "inch" sized bolt head.:p

Some may be a pretty close match but not all will work like intended.
And some are not very close.
For example 12AWG is 3.31mm^2. Standard sizes here are 2.5mm^2 or 4mm^2.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My present need is to splice a solid #4 cu water-pipe GEC that was about 10" short within an ATS.

Adamjamma

So that would be the 25? If it is too tight try the 35.. but will be one of those two... if memory does me well... thinking my 100 amp is 35 gauge wire... lol.
mean 35 mm...tired today..

Status
Not open for further replies.